Maybe This be All Right

 


   I have always believed that God has a great sense of humour. I was reminded of this a few weeks ago when I was asked to be part of the leadership for the children's Sunday school classes in my ward (Primary). The reason why this is so funny is because of the five women who have no children in my ward, I am the only one with no experience when it comes to children. No younger siblings to care for, no nieces and nephews that I spent time with and no young stepchildren. In other words the one least qualified to hold this position.

  The reason why I accepted this calling was because the Primary President had asked for me. She is a woman for whom I have great respect. She was the Relief Society secretary when I was a counselor. She must have seen something in me that she thought would be helpful to her. Despite my woeful lack of qualifications and my inability to deal with most people under the age of 55, I accepted the calling.

   My first Sunday in Primary was spent observing from the back which was good. When I get really nervous, I tear up and  from the back children can't see that. The reason I was so nervous is because I know what an influence a Sunday School teacher can be on a child, both good and bad. I still remember Mrs. Osher, a kind older woman who firmly believed in Scripture memorization and Mr. Farm who enjoyed terrorizing his class using the book of Revelations (I had nightmares for months because of him.) I reminded my self that the first day is always the worst and that things would get better.

   Last Sunday, the couple in charge of the nursery did not show up. I was asked to go and help and another woman offered to help as well since there must always be two adults when teaching or caring for children. There are a few children who get upset when their parents bring them to the nursery and then leave. When I was in the nursery one of the boys got upset and started to cry. Sherry, who was helping me, sat the boy on her lap and allowed him to cry. She told him that it was ok and he could cry as much as he wanted. Eventually he ate some of the animal crackers that are given as snacks to the children. Then he played with the toys. He did pretty well until nursery time was over. Parents came to pick up their children. When the boy saw this he started to cry. Remembering what Sherry did I picked him up, told him he would be all right and let him cry. I hummed softly to him and he quieted down for a little while. He lifted up his head and saw that other parents had come, but not his Mom. He started to cry again. Sherry offered to hold him. I passed him to her. His mother wasn't very late and I knew she'd come soon. A few minutes later she showed up and he went happily away with her.

   I was pleased with the fact that I was able to calm the boy and that I played a little with some of the other children. Being flexible enough to sit on the ground helps. It occurred to me that I should stop focusing so much on my disabilities and focus more on what new skills I could learn. Maybe this will turn out all right....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The First is the Worst

Birthday

A Letter to RB