Hipbone





  We went out last night with our friends Many and Jerry. We were planning on going to see the Whitesidewalls, a very popular local band. Those plans changed when  we realized that the venue would smell the fish from the traditional Friday fish fry.
  We had a couple choices. The first was to go to the Knights of Columbus hall and dance to the big band that plays there once a month. The other was to go to the American Legion to see whatever band would be playing. The American Legion won. (We weren't really dressed for the KoC.)
  We walked in and found a table. The band was already on stage and playing their first set. It was a large band. There were two guys playing six string electric guitars and another playing a jazz guitar. There was a bass player, a drummer, a keyboard player and another person sitting in the back playing bongos and a tambourine. There were five electric guitars on a stand and another twelve string electric sitting alone on another stand. I've never seen so many people or instruments on stage at a venue like that before.
  I took at good look and the band and was more than a little surprised by what I saw. These were not young men. They all seemed to be in their sixties. The keyboard player must have been at least 70. He had the beginnings of kyphosis (also known as dowager's hump.) He was set up so he could lean against the wall if he needed to. The band had their name on a banner behind them. The name was Hipbone. I got a kick out of that name. I wondered if it came about because one or more band members had broken one.
  I have seen bands with older men playing before, but usually there are a few younger people on stage. Not this time. I settled back to listen.
  They played what I would have expected them to play,60s and 70s rock. They played several Beetles songs. I was impressed. These guys were good. People were getting up to dance and have a good time. It was clear that the band was also having a good time.
  C was watching them with interest. He was a working musician when we met, but quit because for several reasons, he had to get a "real job". I know he misses the music and I have encouraged him to get back into it. He worries that he might be too old. Up on stage was living proof. He is not too old.
  The band's second set was better than the first. Clearly they needed one set to warm up and they were off and rolling. The guitar players where into their instruments and at times played some sweet and very tight harmonies. This is not easy to do. The real surprise to me was the keyboard player. He looked like he could be knocked over by a stiff wind, yet he was tearing it up along with the rest of the guys.
  We would have stayed longer, but we had things to do early the next morning. We left before the third set.
  I was happy we came out even if it meant our night would be a bit short. It's encouraging to see anyone breaking a stereotype as this band did. These guys could play just as well as any band of younger people and maybe better because they have the age and experience. I hope that it inspires C to write music and play more. It certainly inspired me to not let stereotypes of age stop me. Our society seems to think that younger is better. I'm not so sure. I think Hipbone could blow them away.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project