Walking the High Road





  I'm a very busy woman right now. I'm fighting temptation, walking the high road and putting my money where my mouth is all at the same time. Allow me to explain.
  I'm upset with a few people right now. (They don't read this column or even know that I write it.) I'm certain they are blissfully unaware of how upset I am. They have no idea what I think of them at this moment.
  I'm fighting the temptation to change that.
  I believe that social media is a good thing when used properly. I've seen people in need get help, support being given and good new shared among my Facebook friends and groups that I belong to. Since many people check their page at least once a day word can get out pretty fast.
  Unfortunately social media is also prone to misuse. It can be used to bully, shame and mock others. This is the temptation I'm fighting right now.
   It would be a source of satisfaction to publicly call out the ones in question and subject them to an  intense shaming session via the internet. I'd call them out for their ungrateful attitude and their unkind, obnoxious and devious behavior. I'd let them know just what I think of them. I'd let everyone they know what kind of people they really are. With any luck I might be able to get others to chime in and reinforce what I'm saying. If nothing else perhaps I will get some praise for having to put up with "those kind" of people.
  I can't do it and I know I can't do it. That's the fight I'm having with myself right now. As satisfying as it would be to publicly castigate the ones I think richly deserve it, I can't do it.
  There are several reasons for this. It would not make anything better. Even though some of these people are people that I need to let leave my life, it is not good to part on a really bad note. Sometimes the stones that leave you return. I've also been a very vocal critic of those who take private arguments into a public space. I've been openly scornful of people who take their personal problems onto talk shows and "reality shows". I've also been critical of those who take arguments onto Facebook. In fact I've shared a picture of a laundry basket that says "Dirty laundry goes here" and another picture the Facebook logo. Next to it is "Not here"
  This is where I have to put my money where my mouth is. I'm not a fan of "do what I do not as I say" People who say one thing and do another are not people I trust. I can't check my religion at the door.
  This means I have to walk the high road. I believe it is called the high road because it is a difficult one to travel. It would be much easier to give in and let those people have it. I'm not going to take this easy low road. It will lead to nowhere except more trouble, more hurt feelings and more things that the world does not need. Taking the low road is a bit like getting drunk. You may feel good at the time, but you won't once the alcohol wears off.
  Taking the high road, while unsatisfying in the short term, will give me more peace in the long term. Taking the high road means taking the long view.  It means being mature. It means thinking of others, even the ones that have made you angry and doing what is best. I'm determined to walk this road. I'm not giving into temptation. I'm going to show myself and anyone else who might be watching that I will do as I say. In the end, I will win.
 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project