Lent





  Many Christian denominations are in the midst of their observance of the Lenten season. This is the season for repentance, reflection and prayer. The members of some faiths will fast or give up something for Lent. Roman Catholics do not eat meat on Fridays during this season.
  I was raised in the Lutheran faith so I did not have to do any of these things. We did have a worship service every Wednesday night that we attended.
  When I went to college, I had many Catholic friends. During Lent I would not eat meat on Fridays. Part of it was because I didn't want to possibly tempt them, but part of me also like the discipline of doing so. There are also a lot of meat free dished that are really good. I continued this practice for awhile after I left college even though I didn't have to. Eventually I stopped.
   Giving something up for Lent has almost become sort of an American cultural thing. I have heard all kinds of jokes about giving things up for Lent. People gave joked about giving up religion, their jobs, cursing, alcohol and Facebook. There have been jokes about giving up Lent, New Year's resolutions and salads. A Facebook friend posted that her infant daughter had given up sleep for Lent. What made this funny for me is that she posted this in December which is actually Advent.
  I must admit, I get slightly annoyed at people who make jokes about giving up something for Lent. It can be, when done with the right intention, very spiritually satisfying. I find it a little disrespectful when others choose to trivialize it.
 When I spent the day with Dana a few weeks back we talked about this a little. She was giving up chocolate for Lent. I told her that I kind of miss giving up something for Lent. I just couldn't think of anything to give up that would truly be meaningful. Whatever you give up for Lent must be something that is truly a sacrifice. It can't be something that you wouldn't do anyway. She mentioned a few things that I could give up like reading or knitting. Both would be definite sacrifices on my part, but I wasn't sure I could. Reading and knitting are two things that keep me sane on some days.
  I was thinking about this on and off for a few weeks. I really did miss the discipline of sacrificing something for Lent. Then last week, I had breakfast with a friend. I can't remember what we talked about as we walked to the car, but I do remember one thing that she said. It was, "We have perpetual Lent." What she meant is that there are several things that members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints give up when they join the church. The dietary commandment which is called "The Word of Wisdom" requires members to give up smoking and alcohol. It prohibits the use of "recreational" drugs. It also prohibits black tea, green tea and coffee. We also fast for at least two meals once a month. The money we have saved from not having those meals is given to the church as a Fast Offering which is used to help the needy, possibly locally although I'm not sure. There is also the sacrifice in time to do work for the church. The LDS have no paid clergy.  Much of the maintenance of the buildings, administrative and ministering tasks are delegated to those among the membership.
  I realized that I do observe the discipline of giving up something for Lent, I just don't confine it to the 40 days between Ash Wednesday and Easter. I do it the entire year.
 
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project