Baking Day

 


       Over the years I have had a love-hate relationship with Christmas. One thing I always liked to do was bake Christmas cookies. For many years it was the only things that made me happy during the month of December. The bad years were the years when I didn't have time to bake anything. 

   I started doing the holiday baking when I was un junior high school. I can't even remember the various things that I used to make. One of them was always fudge. The first year I hade it it was very good. Ever since then, I haven't been able to do it. Eventually I stopped trying.

   I don't make quite as many things now. One thing I do make is cut out Christmas cookies. I use the recipe that Grandma Story used. I cut them out using the metal cookie cutters we used when we were children. These cookies are always frosted and decorated. I like to have help in decorating the cookies. Sometimes the help comes from C. This year the help will come from my parents. This year I'm going to attempt to make a batch of gluten free sugar cookies for my sister's son. I've never done it before so it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

   Two things I always make are little sandwiches made with Ritz crackers and covered in chocolate and pretzels dipped in white almond bark. My dad loves the pretzels so some of them will go to him. I'll also make some apple cider cookies and cookies make with chocolate chips, dried cherries and walnuts.

   My favorite thing to do is share what I bake. I like to arrange the cookies on paper plates for C to take to our neighbors and others we know. I do reserve a few for our own eating. My dessert of Christmas Eve is always eggnog and Christmas cookies. That tradition started when my Dad and I would go to the 11 PM Christmas eve church service. When we got home we would always make eggnog and have cookies together.

   It's going to be a lot to do today so I will stop here so I can get started. I hope that all of you find something you enjoy doing this holiday season.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project