The Christmas Column

 


   This has been a different kind of Christmas day for me. Yule log was not on TV this morning. I didn't make a leisurely breakfast of popovers. Instead I woke up a  4 in the morning and tried to get back to sleep. At 20 to five I finally got up, went into the living room and turned on the tree lights. I read a book while Scamp curled up in my lap.

   We had practiced our piece for Sacrament meeting a little bit the night before. I wasn't sure how it was going to go. I hoped it would go well.

   I fed Scamp, gave him his medicine and sat down on the couch.  I listened to some spiritual stuff on You Tube. I sent Scamp into the bedroom to wake up C and headed to take a shower.

   We wanted to get to church around 8:30 so we could practice a little bit. We needed to allow time for our instruments to literally warm up. We were giving someone a ride so we had to leave early. 

   After my shower I fixed myself a little food. We'd have popovers after church, but I needed a little something before church. When I finished eating, I went into the bedroom to change. It was below zero outside so I wore a pair of black velvet pants. It's the dressiest pants I have. I picked out a sweater and found a hat. 

   There was time for a little practice. We went through our song twice. I hoped I'd do better at church. 

   We cased our instruments. C went out to warm up the car. Once it was warm I climbed into the back seat with the instruments. We picked up our rider and headed to church.

   When we got a there a family was practicing their song.  A mother and four of her sons were playing. They were amazing. A few years back I would be seriously intimidated.  Now I was able to enjoy their work. after they were done C and I set up and practiced our song. We did ok. If we did as well during Sacrament meeting, I would be pleased.

   Then Sacrament meeting started. We were going to be the second musical number. I was happy about that. I would have a lot of time to get nervous. I kept my wool knit gloves on so my hands would stay warm. I knew from experience that cold hands tend to be shaky hands. When it came time for us to play I took off my hat and gloves, picked up my dulcimer and walked to the front. Partway through the first verse I could see I was going to have a problem. My left hand was shaking, a lot. I tried not to let it bother me and did the best I could. I missed several notes in the first and second verses. C is good at covering up for me, so it probably sounded all right. When we finished I was disappointed, but there wasn't much I could do. I did the best I could.

   We changed clothes after we got home. I made popovers and we ate them with eggs. Normally I would have a turkey breast in the crockpot and would be fixing other things for Christmas dinner. We have been invited to a friend's  house. It's strange to have an afternoon with little to do. Maybe I'll knit or read a book and relax.

   I'm grateful for a lot of things this year. I'm grateful for our house and the furnace in it. I'm grateful for all that I have. I'm grateful for opportunities to help those throughout the year. Wherever you are, I hope you are warm, safe, happy and surrounded by those you love.

Merry Christmas

Sophie, C and Scamp

Comments

  1. I am grateful that you are warm,. safe, and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wish my family could have been to church to listen to your piece. Oh, how I miss them!! Best to you and C!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project