Learning Sign Language

 


   There is a chance that a couple who are deaf may start coming to Sacrament meeting in our ward (congregation). (Sacrament meeting is what members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints call our worship service.) As far as I know no one in the ward knows American Sign Language (ASL). Since this is the only way to communicate with them, other than writing on pieces of paper back and forth, it seems like some one should learn to sign. To me it is a way to make them feel welcome. Also I believe that it is only courtesy to try to communicate with them in the language that they speak, even if it is limited at least you are making the effort.

   C found a series of videos online that are pretty good. My goal was to watch at least one video a week. Unfortunately my schedule doesn't allow for that. My progress has not been as fast as I would like, however I am determined to do better.

   One thing I have discovered from the little ASL that I know is that it makes sense to me. For instance, the sign for the word teach is made by putting both hands at forehead height, thumb and index finger together and moving the hands away from the head. To me it looks like you are taking what is in your head and putting it out into the air. Teaching. The sign for the word teacher is the sign for teach and the sign for person which is hands about a foot apart at shoulder height with palms facing each other, then moving the hands down.  A teacher is in ASL a teaching person. The word for learn is interesting too. You put one hand in front of you, palm up as if it were a book. You make a motion with the other hand like you are picking something off the palm up hand and moving it to your head. The sign for student is the sign for learn and the sign for person. A student is a learning person. 

    If I want to sign the word meet, I make two fists with my index finger up and then bring the fists together. It looks like two people meeting. If I want to tell someone that it's nice to meet them, I make the sign for nice. The sign for meet in this case is a little different. I position one hand away from me and the other closer. Then I bring the hand closest to me to the hand farther away. I am meeting the other person.

   There are some signs that are just fun. If I want to sign that I don't understand, I make a fist with my index finger up, put it by my head and shake my head. If I do understand then I nod my head. To me it looks like the little lightbulb near my head. 

   There are some signs I just can't seem to remember. I can remember the sign for where, but not for how or what. The sentence structure is also a bit challenging. Instead of signing "what is your name?" I would sign your- name-what. At the end of the question move move your eyebrows down to indicate that it is a question. If it is a question that requires something other than yes or no brows down, otherwise brows are up.

   I'm not operating under the illusion that I'll be able to interpret for them or carry on a lengthy conversation. That would take a lot more work and classes with an actual teacher instead of You Tube videos. However, as least they can see that I'm making an attempt to accommodate them. In the process I'm also exercising my brain and having a little fun.

   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project