Presents

 


    I noticed it when I turned off the light by our front door. There were three paper hearts on sticks stuck into the ground near my driveway. I looked out the window at the other side and found three more paper hearts. I couldn't make out what was written on them, but I was sure they would have some kind of encouraging message on them.

   This is called a "heart attack". It's when a group of women from church leave heart shaped pieces of paper in your front yard or taped to your front door. It's not the first time this has happened to me. Several years ago after a very hard and long day at work, I found a bunch of hearts taped to my front door. A group of young women had cut them out, wrote on them and put them on the door. I was puzzled about this one. I wasn't going through a hard time. There was no reason for these hearts to show up. I sent a text to the person I thought was responsible to thank her and also ask what was up.

   They had put hearts on the front lawn of a woman so she would see them on her last day of chemo. They had so much fun (and I suspect had extra hearts) that they went to a few more houses. I put the hearts in the garden for a few days where they would be protected. ( and where they wouldn't blow away.)

   A few days before the heart attack, my friend, Jean came to visit. The evening before there had been a Relief Society get together. I was working and unable to attend. Those attending got a soft, dark gray blanket with a tag that said, "Remember, I love you!" Jean had picked up an extra one to give to me. I was touched and became a bit teary as I held the blanket tightly. After Jean left I thought it would be fun to go through my stash of needlepoint yarn and decorate my blanket. It would be something easy I could do.

   Yesterday Sandy from Toastmasters stopped by the pharmacy. She had a gold package in her hand. It was for me. We chatted a bit, but I was busy and couldn't talk for long. When I had a break I opened it up to find a pair of hand knitted slippers and a note. The note said, 'So glad we are friends!" I was touched. The slippers were beautiful and they fit perfectly. My feet will be warm and comfortable in the winter. 

   I'm always touched and sort of surprised by unexpected presents. I never expect anyone to think of me like that. 

   I also feel guilty. If someone gives me something, I feel I should give them something back. The challenge is I'm not good at buying presents. I'm never sure of what people like and I don't want to buy something that is just going to go to Goodwill or into the garbage. I'm a decent knitter but only at small things like washcloths and scarves. The one thing I'm really good at is baking. Unfortunately most of the people I know are gluten intolerant or watching their weight. I worry that if I don't give something back, I'll be seen as selfish. I don't want people to think badly of me.

   What I probably need to do is think long term. I may not find something I can give right away, but an opportunity may some up where I see something or can do something for the person who has given me a present. In the meantime I can be grateful and let the person know that I appreciate and like what they have given me and am even more grateful for the friendship we have. 

   

   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project