I'm Not Sweater Material Part 2





  A little over a year ago I was trying to crochet a sweater with a ball of multicoloured yarn. I was just beginning my project when the yarn decided to speak to me. I didn't know that yarn could talk, but it can in extreme circumstances. I guess the yarn felt the it needed to. The yarn was not comfortable with the thought of being a sweater and told me that it wanted to be a blanket or a throw.
  Since it is a special occasion when yarn decides to talk to you, I decided to honor it's wish and make a throw. Encouraged by the yarn, I ripped out the stiches I had done. It suggested that I make a large granny square.
  It has taken over a year, but I am pleased to announce that I have finished the throw.  It took me awhile because I had other things to do like finish a shawl and knit a few washcloths for babies. I kept picking away at it. I noticed that it was a good project to work on when I wanted something that wasn't too complicated. I could talk to someone and work at the same time. (Although I haven't mastered the skill of knitting or crocheting without looking at my work.)
  Little by little it began to take shape. I finished the first ball of yarn and then used the second. I began to wonder if I would ever finish it. The ball never seemed to get smaller. I wondered if it had other abilities besides the ability to talk. Eventually I could see that I was making progress. It wasn't going to be a large piece. It would be just big enough to throw on a lap or to decorate the back of the couch.
  Finally I got to the last bit of yarn. I didn't have enough for a full row, so I just stopped when the yarn ran out. I wove in all the loose ends and cut the long tails of yarn. Then I put it on the back of the couch.
  It looks beautiful. The white couch brings out the colours in the throw. The two pillows on either end almost match as well. I'm guessing the yarn must be happy as it hasn't said a word since I started crocheting the throw. I still think I can see a small glow of happiness form the yarn as it starts it's new life on my couch.
  I guess the lesson is that sometimes you have to change your plans. If you get too set on something, you might miss out on something better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project