I Can Make Yarn From This



   This part week I've been off from work. C and I decided to use part of that time to work on some reorganization projects. We have been talking about getting rid of things we don't need. There is a lot of paper that needs to be shredded, articles that need to be taken to the hazardous waste site and clothes that need to be donated.
  I was going through my closet looking for things I didn't need. I found a lot of stuff. There were shirts with lace tops and cotton button down shirts. There was a robe I had bought once and wore a few times. There was a cute pink suit that I bought for a wedding. I kept it thinking that maybe I'd shrink back to that size. I finally decided to give up on that. There was a blue skirt suit that someone gave me. I don't wear those kind of suits. I was making good progress. I got rid of enough stuff that I could fit some dresses from another closet back into my closet.
  Then I saw them. Three silk shirts. I loved those shirts. It made me feel rich wearing them. I loved the feel of the silk on my skin. I loved that sheen of the fabric. I would love to start wearing them again, but there was a problem. Two of the shirts had a missing button and one of them  had a small but noticeable stain on the collar. I didn't know what to do with them. Obviously I couldn't donate them because of the missing buttons and stain.
  My other option was to throw them away. I didn't like this option. The shirts still had plenty of wear yet. I have a problem throwing things away that could possibly be used. I suppose that I could have possibly replaced the missing buttons and worn the shirts. I didn't want to do that because it was just too much work. Since I considered it to be too much work I certainly didn't want to donate the shirts to someone else who would have to do the same thing.
  What was I going to do with those shirts? I didn't want to put them back into the closet. I was going to have to deal with them sometime.
  I wished that they were knit shirts. If they were knit shirts, then I could cut them up in strips and make yarn from them. (Well, it's not really yarn, but it is something that can be used to knit or crochet.) Wait a minute, I thought. Could I cut these shirts into strips and make something from them? I know there is such a things as ribbon yarn and I have also heard of people crocheting the tape part of a cassette tape into something. I decided to check and see if anyone else had done this.
  A quick search showed me two pages that talked about upcycling silk into knitting materials. I was excited. I could use the shirts after all. I set them aside and continued to sort.
  I ran to a pair of pajamas. They were very old and worn. I bought them from Victoria's Secret back when I didn't know what Victoria's Secret was. The waistband was shot on the pants. There were a few holes in the top. I have plenty of pajamas so I didn't need to keep them. I just didn't want to throw them away. They were my favourite pair for a very long time. I spent a lot of comfortable moments in my life wearing those pajamas. The practical side of me said, toss them. The sentimental side wanted to hang onto them.
  Fortunately, I had a way to satisfy both sides. I was going to cut them up and make yarn. I also found a pair of knit pants that were still good except for the waistband. Those would be cut up as well.
  I finished going through my closet. There were three large bags of clothes to donate. It felt good to get rid of all those things. As a bonus I have some new "yarn" to use. Now I just need to figure out what to make with it......

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project