Remembering Odd Things





   I was watching CBS Sunday Morning when they played the radio announcement of the bombing of Pearl Harbor. For a minute I stopped sniffling into tissue number three. (It was Charles Osgood's last show.) The voice making the announcement sounded familiar. I knew that voice. It was John Charles Daly who worked as a reporter for CBS at the time that was broadcast. I knew him as the genial and urbane panel moderator of the game show "What's My Line"
  A quick foray into You Tube proved that I was correct. I patted myself on the back for the next few hours.
  For some reason my mind gloms onto strange things. For instance, I remember voices much better than faces. A few months ago when the pharmacy was robbed, I had a lot of trouble remembering what the thief looked like. I didn't know what the colour of his clothing except that it was dark, I didn't know if he wore gloves or boots. I didn't know if he had a hat on or a hoodie. I could tell you that he had no accent, was a native English speaker and that his voice was in the baritone range. For a long time when customers would call the pharmacy, I would greet them by name on the phone because I recognized their voices.
  Another strange thing is that I sometimes can't remember a person's name, but I can remember other things about them. I may remember what medications they take, how many grandchildren they have or the fact that they have a home in Arizona. There was a customer that had a crush on me once. I can't remember his name. I can remember the first three prescriptions I filled for him were an antibiotic, prednisone and cough syrup. I know that he had a blind dog named Daisy and that he worked in the tool and die industry. The last time I saw him was 15 years ago.
  I also remember strange bits of information. I don't know the names of the presidents of the United States, but I do know the names of all their wives. For a long time I didn't know that James Buchanan was president because he didn't have a wife. The only thing I remember from all the organic chemistry classes I took is that if you take the chemical formula for the compound that makes a geranium smell like a geranium and move something over to another part of the carbon chain, you get the smell of a skunk. Maybe that's why I'm not a fan of geraniums.
  Sometimes these factoids are useful. One time I was competing on a team in a trivia contest. We were not doing so well despite the fact that most of the team members were also members of Mensa. One of the questions was "Who was Miss America 1968?" I had been reading a book about the Miss America pageant and instantly knew the answer was Debra Dene Barnes. The funny thing is that this was well over ten years ago and I still remember it. I remember that we were saved from coming in last because I got that answer correct.
  Much of these strange facts were due to the fact that I read a lot. I would get interested in a subject and read books about it. At one time I did know the names of all the Miss Americas in order of reign. I also knew the names of the rulers of England in order. For some reason I got interested in wedding customs. It was probably about the time that Prince Charles married Diana. I checked out books about weddings from the library to read. The only thing I remember from those books is that if two sisters are married in a double wedding ceremony, the older sister takes her vows first. Another strange fact I remember is that when introducing two people to each other the younger person is introduced to the older person.
  Sometimes remembering all these bits and pieces is frustrating. I can remember that the late Queen Mother was from Scotland, but I can't remember when I am supposed to take in my amaryllis plant. I know that cats are obligate carnivores and that the majority of orange cats are male, but I can't remember when I set my keys down.
  Maybe those bits of information will have a use someday. Someone may want to know that the first Miss Minnesota to become Miss America was BeBe Shopp. Maybe someone will have a burning need to know that Frances Cleveland was the youngest woman to become First Lady. (She was 21.) Somehow I don't think so, but you never know......
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project