Choosing a Human





  Hi This is Scamp. Sophie has been working a lot this week so I thought I'd give her a break and write for her today.
  There is lots of information out there about how to choose the perfect companion animal. (I find the word "pet" to be demeaning. I am a working cat.) There is no information, at least that I could find, about how to choose a human. Maybe that's because most companion animals are not internet savvy and many shelters do not have internet access.
  I would like to tell you how Colby and I chose our humans.
  My mother was a cat to Carrie's boyfriend. (They broke up a long time ago.) I lived very happily with my mother and siblings on a porch. I enjoyed tussling with my siblings, but knew the time would come when I would have to leave home and live with other humans. I thought long and hard about what I wanted. I knew I did not want to be an only cat. I like having someone to play with and to admire my outrageous good looks. It had to be someone who would be willing groom my fur regularly. I was also hoping for a place with  a lot of windows and soft places to sleep.
  Sophie and C came to visit my family on a summer day. We all went in to meet them. Sophie liked my sister who was named Dustbunny. Dustbunny had grey fur and was stunning. However, she really was not interested. I knew right away that these were the humans I was waiting for. They had cats living with them before, they had a nice house and they seemed like kind people. I would have a sibling although he was much older than me and very sick.
  I had to get their attention. I finally decided that I had to do something unusual. I went over to C and began to lick his toes. Normally I would not stoop to something so undignified, but sometimes it is necessary. My ploy worked. C and Sophie think that they chose me, but the fact is I chose them.
  My adopted brother, Nim, died a few months after I moved in. He was nice, but he was very sick and not real interested in getting to know me. Still, I was sad when he was gone. I hoped that Sophie and C would find a new brother or sister for me.
  One day Sophie told me that they were going to adopt a new sibling for me. They were not sure who it would be yet, but they had decided that a brother would be best for me.
  Colby had a different way of choosing a human. He and his family had been recued by a group. He was living with his foster mother who got to know him well. His foster mother promised him that she would help him to find a good home. Since Colby is shy there would be no small children. It would be in a quiet part of town. Colby had been fostered with many other companion animals. He liked the company, but would prefer one other cat or dog.
  Colby had to go to adoption events. He didn't like those very much. Too many people. Too much noise. He tended to hide. Then one day his foster mother told him that they were going to the vet, but not for a check up. There was a human who was interested in meeting him.
  He was brought to a room at the vet office where he met Sophie. He was a little scared and kept going to his foster mother for reassurance. Sophie told him that it was all right if he was shy. She was also shy. There would be lots of windows to look out of and a new brother named Scamp. He did kind of like her, even though she did wipe off some dirt from his face. His foster mother thought that this would be a good fit for him. He agreed and allowed himself to be adopted. A couple weeks later C and Sophie brought him home. He liked the fact that he was given a room of his own at first so he could get used to things. After a few days he wanted to meet me and see more of the house. He darted out of the door into the living room and I was waiting to welcome him.
  We got along right away. He's an excellent tussling partner and we make a very good pair. We chose well.
  That is how we chose our humans. We are going to have breakfast now. Have a good weekend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project