Sunday Morning







   The only TV show I watch on a regular basis anymore is CBS Sunday Morning. I used to like watching TV, but once they cancelled "The Education of Max Bickford" in order to make room for the new show "Survivor", I quit watching so much TV. I sometimes watch football games and a few episodes of "A Football Life" I'm able to record.
 I can't remember when I started watching Sunday Morning. I know Charles Kuralt was the host at that time. I would come to visit my parents and help them take care of my grandfather who was living with them. On those weekends when I wasn't visiting, I would watch the show alone.  On Saturday I would go to a local bakery and buy some pasty, donuts or muffins to eat while I watched. I would brew a pot of tea and set it on my coffee table. I had a couple of tea warmers to use so my pot would not get cold.
  That show was an hour and a half of downtime for me. I would not do anything except watch the show and enjoy my breakfast. I wouldn't rush to throw in a load of laundry or do the dishes during commercials. I might write a letter or work on a little cross stitch, but that would be as much as I would do.
   The meeting time for church rotates once a year. When church meetings start at nine am, I'm unable to watch the show. It was really hard the first time this happened. I lost my precious hour and a half of downtime. I tried taping the show to watch later, but I had no time later in the week to enjoy the show in the leisurely fashion that it should be enjoyed.
  This Sunday is the last Sunday that Charles Osgood will be hosting the show. He is stepping down after hosting the show for 22 years. He announced his retirement earlier in the month. I was seriously hoping that I would be working and unable to watch his last show. As luck would have it, I'm off so I will be tuned in. It's going to be sort of sad. I really like Charles Osgood. His voice with it's round tone is soothing to listen to. I liked the way he introduced segments of the program. I enjoyed the times when he would quote poetry, which he sometimes wrote and play the piano. He goes by the name Charles, which sounds a little stuffy and self important, yet he seems to be anything but. (I will admit I do have a fondness for the name Charles anyway.) He also seems like he would be the kind of guy that could hold a conversation on a wide range of subjects and someone who would be able to converse with anyone regardless of age, education or origin. I also find his bowties to be very classy.
  I'm not sure who will replace him. If it's been announced, I haven't heard. It could be one of the regular correspondents like Anthony Mason or Jane Pauley. I'm hoping it won't be Mo Rocca. I like the segments that he does, but he seems a little too hyper to be able to host a leisurely news show like Sunday Morning.
  It will be interesting to see who takes over and how the show will change because of it. It won't be the same without Charles Osgood. It has been announced that he will continue to do his radio segments. If I need an Osgood fix, I can see him on the radio.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project