New Isn't Always Better





   While on our weekend road trip to Chicago, I bought a pair of running shoes. The shoes I bought were not the pair I had my eye on. They were a pair that the salesperson brought out for me to try. He thought they were a better running shoe.
   I tried them on. They were very comfortable and actually fit my feet which are shaped more like a duck's foot than a human foot. (wide at the toes narrow at  the heel). When I walked around the store in them I liked them very much. I tried on the pair that I had originally seen. They felt tight and confining. I bought the other pair.
  I couldn't wait to try them out. Once C and I got to Chicago, we changed our clothes and went to the Botanic Garden. I changed into my new shoes. It took some time to get used to them. The arch support wasn't where my arch was. This was because the shoes had a foam pad that would conform to my foot. The shoes just needed to "learn" where my arch was.
  Once the whole arch issue was resolved I was quite comfortable. They were great walking shoes. It was like walking around on a cloud. I felt like I could walk anywhere. When we were done walking around I noticed something. My feel didn't feel sore. They also didn't feel swollen. These were good shoes. If they were this good for walking they must be incredible for running, right?
  I had taken them for a few short runs down a couple paths at the Botanic Garden. They felt pretty good. I was looking forward to taking them out for a real run.
  When we got back I had my chance. I laced the new shoes on and took them out for my morning run. It didn't feel that great. The arch support wasn't under my arch. I thought this issue had been dealt with. It appeared that the shoe had "forgotten" where my arch was. I told myself that it takes some time to get used to new shoes. I decided that I would give the new shoes a one week trial before I made my decision.
  The next day I laced them on. Today would be better. The first time is always the roughest. Halfway though the run I stopped. It looked like my heel was displaced. It didn't hurt, but it was not something that should be happening. I laced up the shoes a little tighter and continued. Tightening up the shoes helped, but they still felt too loose. It was like running with slippers on. My one week trial wasn't over though. I'd wear them again tomorrow.
   I was halfway though my run when I realized why these new shoes felt bad. When I bought my first pair of running shoes it was at a shop that was specific to runners. The person who sold me my first pair of running shoes did so after watching my gait and looking at my feet. Once of the things I was told was that I tended to roll my feet out. The shoes I was sold were meant for others with this same tendency. The new shoes that I bought didn't have that support. That's why it felt like I was fighting my shoes.
  The next day I put on my old pair. I had a great run. My feet had lots of support. I didn't feel like they were fighting inside my shoes.
  It wasn't a total waste of money. they are still very good walking shoes and will probably work well for biking. The guy who sold me those shoes told me that they were the latest in running technology. Perhaps so, but in this case newer isn't better.
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project