Live from Fish Creek

As you already know, my husband and I are vacationing in Door County Wisconsin. We've been coming here to the same place the same week of each year since 2004. We stay at the same place each year.
It's been a good week. On Monday we spent the morning in in Peninsula State Park. It is a nice park mostly wooded with a few beaches that I imagine get a lot of use over the summer. We like to hike around in the woods. There are a few scenic overlooks in the park. One of them is from Eagle Tower.
We've been walking past Eagle Tower for a few years now. I know it has a great view from the top and every year I climb the tower part way and then get nervous. I'm afraid of heights. I'm all right in airplanes and tall buildings, but there's something about things like towers and Ferris wheels that makes my stomach feel funny. This year, to celebrate my 40th birthday, I was going to climb all the way to the top. No matter what.
The first few levels were all right. I'd been up them before and it was no problem. The last two were harder. It was windier at the top and the tower swayed slightly. I had to stop and just stand there a minute clutching the rail. I was not going back down. I went up each stair trying to ignore the funny feeling in my stomach and the voice in my head telling me that I was nuts. I got to the top. I had taken my ball cap off so it wouldn't blow away in the wind. The wind was really strong at the top. As long as I held on to a railing I was just fine. I looked all around me over the tops of the trees. We got some really nice pictures. I went down the tower feeling very proud of myself. I had done it. I went all the way up even though I was nervous. I'm going to go up again next year. My new goal is not to be nervous.
We played mini golf in the afternoon. I didn't play well. My husband found last year's score cards in his suitcase. We looked at them,I did much better last year. Maybe if I'd worn my leather jacket.. When we unpack I'm going to find those cards and burn them.
The past two days we shopped. Normally I have a budget and a spending limit. When we go to Door County I don't. There are certain things that we like that I can only buy here so we stock up. I've lost count of how many bottles of wine I got. Some of them will be gifts to people I know. I will not need to buy wine until sometime next year. I got two pairs of Naot shoes. I'm not sure where they are made, but they make shoes that look good, feel good and fit my short, fat duck flipper feet. They're not cheap, but I can work a 12 hour shift and not be in pain when I get home. I found a cat bed for our two cats, Scamp and Colby. They really don't need a bed, they sleep on the furniture, but this bed is in the shape of a fish and Colby can burrow around in it.
There is a store that sells things imported from Great Britain. We like to get lemon curd, jam barbecue sauce and after shave there. The aftershave my husband likes may be discontinued. We bought two bottles.
I found some things at the kitchen store, two books at the bookstore and a new purse at a store called Kitty Corner. I like that store a lot it has a purrking lot. (really, that is what it says) We bought some things at a farm market store that we like and bought some fudge, peanut butter, vanilla and classic chocolate.
The most expensive thing that I got this year was a hammered dulcimer. (No, it is not a musical instrument that has had too much to drink.) It's a forerunner to the piano, a hollow, trapezoidal box with strings running horizontally. You play it by striking the strings with small wooden hammers. I had seen one last year, but didn't really think we could afford it. This year after consulting with my husband we decided to get one. We both like the sound, it looked like it would not be difficult to learn and it would a nice addition to our small collection of instruments. The shop owner demonstrated the two models she had. We chose the larger one. It was more expensive, but it has a lower pitch mellow sound that we both like. She had one in a warm brown colour that we bought along with a beginner's book and a book of Christmas carols. She tuned it up for us and got it all ready to go. It has a carrying case and all the things I need to tune it. I'm excited to play it.
Tonight we are going to see a play. Tomorrow we will leave for home. Along the way we will stop at Curly's Pub at Lambeau Field for lunch and a cheese factory in Belle Plaine to stock up on cheese and hopefully get some fresh cheese curds. The kind that squeak when you eat them.
That's all for now......

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project