Channel 438

Now that we have the elliptical in the basement, I've been getting up around 5:30 in the morning to exercise. I go downstairs with my glass of water. (Hydration is very important, you know.) After turning on the lights I turn on the TV. I don't really like watching TV, there are only two shows that I watch on a regular basis. (CBS Sunday morning and MASH reruns) It would be a lot harder to work on the elliptical if I didn't have something to watch or listen to.

Fortunately, we have cable. The cable provider we use has Music Choice. Music Choice is a bunch of channels each featuring different kinds of music along with pictures. There's a 70s channel, a few kinds of jazz,classical,dance etc. There are no commercials. Along with the sound are pictures, sometimes of the performers and little facts about the performer of the song being played at the time. I like it a lot. The channel I set it to when I work out is channel 438 Singers and Swing.
Singers and Swing is a combination of two channels Singers and Standards and Swing channel. I was not happy when the two were put together. I loved Singers and Standards and would fall asleep to it on most nights. I didn't turn it on for a long time. When I did start turning it on I noticed that they play the big band and swing music in the early morning hours and the singers are played during the day. That works well for me.
I've been listening to all kinds of bands I've never heard before. There's Stan Kenton,Jack Teagarden, Charlie Spivak and Lionel Hampton. Actually, I've heard of Lionel Hampton, but didn't know that he had his own band. I usually hear one Mildred Bailey song each morning. She and her husband Red Norvo had a band and billed themselves as Mr. and Mrs. Swing.
It's good work out music. I can keep time to the beat as long as it's not too fast and the next thing I know I'm done. After I've cooled down a bit I drink my water and listen to a few more songs. It's kind of dangerous to do that as I can easily kill 30-45 minutes just listening when I should be doing something else. (Like working with the hand weights)
One of the reasons why I like music from that era so much is because a vocalist had to have genuine talent to make it. They didn't have all the electronic things to make a not so good voice better. These days looks are more important and if a singer is good looking and does a few outrageous things now and again all the better. Mildred Bailey would never make it these days, she has a good voice but she's plump. Oh well...
I'll admit, big band isn't typical work out music, but it should be. There's few things better than Glenn Miller's band playing 'American Patrol' to get you going at 5:30 am.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project