A Well Written Song
Several weeks ago a social media group posted a question. "What do you consider to be the best written song?" There were many answers spanning from classical music to country to rock. It was interesting to read the comments.
Although I didn't comment, I pondered what song I would choose. I wasn't sure I was even in a position to have an opinion on this subject. I'm not a composer or a performer so my choice comes from the position of being a listener. My musical taste is pretty broad, but was it broad enough to answer this kind of question?
I thought about it now and again for several weeks and decided that, in my opinion, the best written song is Year of the Cat by Al Stewart. It was written by Stewart and Peter Wood and released in 1976.
One of the things that I like best about the song is the lyrics. The lyrics describe an unexpected romantic encounter and does so in very visual terms. I have to admit that you need to be of a certain age to understand "a morning from a Bogart movie", "country where they turn back time" and "strolling through the crowd like Peter Lorre". There is also "blue tiled walls near the market stalls", "eyes shine like the moon in the sea" and "silk dress running like a watercolour in the rain". The lyrics are very clear word pictures. By themselves, they are poetry, the kind that anyone can appreciate.
The song starts out with a piano riff that does an excellent job of leading you into the song. All through the song the music supports the lyrics and follows the story that is being told. All the instrumental parts fit neatly together. It's tight, clean and perfect. Al Stewart's smooth vocal line fits into the rest of the song and you can really believe he is singing about a possible personal experience. The song ends with instrumental solos, The sax at the end is simply amazing. According to several sources the sax solo was not the original ending to the song.
Listening to the song, especially with a good pair of speakers is an experience like enjoying a really good piece of chocolate or perhaps a fine wine or spirit. An enjoyable experience that lingers happily in your head.
That's why I believe Year of the Cat is the best written song.
Comments
Post a Comment