The Blessing of a Good Friend

 


        Yesterday, I went to spend some time with my friend, Dana, at her home.

         I have no idea how long we have known each other. We met when both of us were members of Small Town Toastmasters. I remember one time mentioning that I wanted to learn how to knit. An elderly customer used to bring nice knit dishcloths to me at the pharmacy, but was unable to knit. I wanted to learn so I could make more for myself. 

        After meetings we used to go to a local bagel shop and socialize. One morning,Dana brought knitting needles and yarn. She showed me how to do the purl and knit stitches. That has led to several baby blankets, scarves, shawls, non baby blankets and a lot of yarn for future use. It was also the start of great friendship. 

        We don't get together nearly as much as either of us would like. Both of us work and that is part of the challenge. When we do get together,we always have a good time. One of the things that I like about her is that I always learn something. I don't think there is anything she doesn't already know how to do and the things she doesn't know, she can figure out. She's taught me how to crochet, make cards, scrapbook, tie dye and simple bead stringing for jewelry. She gardens, cans food, sews and is putting a kiln in her garage so she can make pottery items. She can also make soap, candles and perfume.

        One of the reasons I came to visit, beside the fact that I just wanted to spend some time with her, was to figure out what to do with a my Mom's ring. I inherited the simple ring and wanted a way to wear it. It's too big for me to  wear on my finger. If anyone could figure out how to make it work, it would be her.

        The first thing we did was make some perfumed shea butter. I've never done this, so I spent time looking at her collection of essential oils, smelling them and deciding what I wanted and if the things I picked smelled good together. Once I'd made my selections, she poured in some melted shea butter and had me stir it until the scent was distributed. It never occurred to me to mix different oils and I may need to try it the next time I pull out my diffuser. 

        At lunchtime we foraged around in her garden. It's been very dry the past few weeks and her poor garden looked pretty sad. We found some tomatoes, bok choy, kale and a couple of peppers to make a salad. When we got inside she washed the greens and handed me a knife and cutting board so I could chop my selections. She pulled out some chicken patties to eat as protein on our salads. We were talking about tofu and she pulled a container of it out of her fridge so I could sample some that she had marinated. It was really good. She showed me the sauce she used and I put it on my salad. I think it was the best salad I ever had.

        Then we got to work on the jewelry. We decided a necklace would be best. I had some large amethyst beads that we thought would work. Mom's favourite colours were purple and red so it was appropriate. While I got to work on setting out the beads in the pattern we chose, Dana was doing something with the ring. I was busy laying out beads in the pattern we had chosen so I didn't see what she was doing. A couple hours later it was time to leave. She showed me what she had done. She had beaded the side of the ring so that I could string it onto the necklace. I was stunned, it was so beautiful. I packed up the beads and the necklace so I could finish it at home.

        I am so grateful to have her as a friend. It's a blessing to have someone in your life you takes you as you are and pushes you out of your comfort zone. I hope I am as good a friend to her as she is to me.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Barnaby's New "Toy"

It Doesn't Feel Like Pumpkin Season

Second chance