The Silk Scarf
In Red Wing there is a store in the depot down by the river. Area artists of all types can sell what they create there. There is jewelry, pottery, pictures, carved wood and hand dyed silk scarves to name a few of the items sold there. It's a bad place for me to go into because I almost always see something I like and I usually purchase it. I'm wearing one of the things I bought there right now, a round gold pendant with a rose on one side and rays radiating from the center on the other side.
One time last year when I went in there I saw a silk scarf. It was cream coloured with splashes of red, fuschia, purple, pale blue, pale green and pale yellow. It was beautiful and I wanted to buy it. It was a bit expensive and honestly, when would I wear it.? I have many scarves that are in my closet that I don't wear. Since I'm trying to become better at not purchasing things I won't use, I left the scarf in the store.
Over the course of the year, when we would go into the store, I would look at the scarf. I'd sigh and then walk away from it. Every time we went into the store, the scarf was still there.
We usually only go to Red Wing in the summer and fall when we do rides on the nearby bike trail. The first time we went to Red Wing this year, we went to the store. The scarf was still there. Once again, I told myself that I did not need to spend the money on something I don't need.
I also decided that this summer, if we went to Red Wing after riding on the trail,we were not going to go into that store. I was tired of testing my will power over and over again.
Earlier this month we went to River City Days in Red Wing. It's the usual type of festival with food, entertainment and booths promoting local businesses. I told C that I was going into the art store. If the scarf was still there, I was going to buy it. I would find some way to wear it or use it.
After lunch we walked over to the depot and I went into the store. The scarf was there. I took it to the counter and bought it. It was too far to take it back to where we were parked and too hot to wear it like a scarf. I wrapped it around the crown of my hat instead. It would be safe there and I could show it off. It didn't match my hat or what I was wearing, but I really liked the look.
The next day was Sunday. I like to wear hats to church. I wore a dress that had the same colours as the scarf and found a blue straw hat that I don't wear much. I wrapped the scarf around the crown and was pleased by how it looked. The scarf and hat picked up the colours of the dress and the whole outfit looked really good.
It's made me think about other scarves and hats that I have and how I can use them together. I'm really glad that I bought it and look forward to experimenting with it.
Comments
Post a Comment