One Year Past the Big Leap



   For those of you who do not read this column on a regular basis, I made a large leap of faith a little over a year ago. I quit my full-time job. My working environment was becoming worse and worse. I no longer felt it was a good place to be.
   Usually, in a situation like this, I look for a new job before I quit the old one. I hadn't done that this time. I had been telling myself that my current workplace was the best I could do and that there was nothing else out there for me. Then a situation came up and leaving was my only option.
   It was a scary time for me. I'd always worked full time and always worked retail. The future I thought I was going to have was not going to be reality for me.
  I was very blessed to have two things going for me, C and faith. C had seen what was going on with my job and started looking for other options. He found a couple of potential places where I could work.  I also had faith. As a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I believe that my Heavenly Father has a plan for me. Something that may seem like a bad thing or a huge setback could be something better. I can choose to follow or not. I chose to believe that the reason for this sudden job change was because there was someplace else I was supposed to be and a better opportunity for me.
   I interviewed at a brand new independent pharmacy in a nearby town. From the first time I walked into the store, I knew I wanted to work there. I liked the manager. I liked the store and I liked that it was not corporate. I was hired as an on-call pharmacist which eventually turned into part-time and on call.
  Some interesting things happened in the year since I left my old job. One of the things that happened is that my body started to heal. I didn't realize that the number of hours I was working were taking a huge toll on my physical health. The carpal tunnel symptoms in my hand started to go away. I was able to sleep through the night. I was able to exercise and spend time outside. I had time to clean my house, do laundry and take care of my garden.
   I started to feel like a human being again. I got to spend time with friends and had more time with C. I was able to groom Scamp on a regular basis which made him very happy. (He is still pleased.) I'm able to go to church every Sunday.
  One thing that worried me about working part-time was the potential for boredom. What do I do with all the time I used to spend working? Would I have enough to keep me busy? The answer is yes. I have plenty to do and there are still some things I'd like to do that I'm not doing now. Time management is something that I need to work on.
   I'm happy at my new store. The entire staff works well together. I get to do things that I didn't do before. I feel like I have skills that allow me to make a significant contribution to the success of my store. I also believe that my efforts are appreciated.
  Do I miss my former colleagues? Yes, I do. I sometimes wonder how they are. It was hard leaving them and the customers I had worked hard to take care of for so long.
   As scary as it was, I'm glad I made that leap of faith. They say that when one makes such a leap one of two things happen, You either land on your feet or you learn how to fly. I'm not sure if I have landed or if I'm still flying. Either way, we are all right.
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Barnaby's New "Toy"

It Doesn't Feel Like Pumpkin Season

I've Got the Best Husband