Finished Business



   Last year I came across an old post in my memories section. It showed a picture of me proudly holding my Advanced Toastmaster Bronze certificate. (It's Advanced Communicator Bronze now.) In the post I mentioned that I had taken too long to work on the award and my goal was to obtain the next level, silver, in five years. Then I promptly forgot about it.
  I continued to work on my advanced manuals drifting somewhat aimlessly. I was dealing with job issues and health issues and didn't have time or energy to spend on Toastmasters.
  Toastmasters decided to change the programs it offered. The designations of Bronze and Silver were going to be discontinued. It was time to get going and get things done. I don't like having unfinished business in my life. That was about the time I saw the old post. I looked over the requirements to see how long it would take for me to finish my silver designation. I had to finish one more manual and do two other projects. I was almost finished with my second manual when coronavirus hit. Our meetings were cancelled indefinitely and stay at home orders were in place. I had one manual speech and two projects left. How was I going to finish?
  Fortunately, we started meeting on Zoom. After a few virtual meetings, I felt ready to attempt a speech. I had never done a speech in that format. How would it go? would it be any good? I had to do it. I wouldn't be able to finish the manual unless I did. Time was becoming a factor. Toastmasters was going to discontinue the old program on July 1. I had to finish before then.
  I gave the speech. It went well. The manual was finished. Now there were only the two projects.
  I had planned to do the projects with Dana. These were going to be longer speeches and this would allow both of us to finish goals that we had. Unfortunately, Dana's work hours changed leaving her unable to attend meetings. Due to the stay at home orders we couldn't get together to work  on them to present another way. I was going to have to do them myself. I had one month to get them done. 
  I told the VP of Education to put me down for two speeches in June. I already had half of the first project planned. The two projects were actually going to be pretty easy. I had an outline that I had to follow. All I had to do was add a few things that I thought were important and the speech would be done. the second week in June I completed the first project. It went well. I was relieved. I had to speak for ten minutes. I'd never given a speech that long before. I didn't think that I could, but I did. One project down, one to go. 
  I looked over the available projects and found one that really spoke to me. I printed the outline and added the things I wanted to say. I had planned to practice it once or twice, but I was covering for a sick coworker and was working more hours than normal. I didn't have a chance to practice my speech. The fourth week in June I gave it. This time I stood before the laptop computer and used the counter in front of me as a lectern. It worked. There was only one point that I had missed, My evaluator said it was the best speech he'd seen me give. Since he's seen most of the speeches I've done, I took it as high praise. 
  Over the next week, the VP of Education and I made sure I had all my projects entered in. This past week I got notification that my award was processed. Until July 1, I was Sophie Story ACS.  (Although I still prefer ATS, Advanced Toastmaster Silver.)
  Although it is wrong to brag I had to do something. I took a screenshot of my notification email and put it on Facebook. Many of my friends congratulated me. I was happy. My unfinished business was now finished. I can now move ahead to the new Toastmaster program and see what I can do with it.
  

  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project