The Little Things




   I ran lightly up the stairs to our room in the bed and breakfast. Once I got to the top I walked to the door four room and went inside. I paused for a minute inside the door. I wasn't gasping for air. I didn't even have to stop to catch my breath on the way up. I was carrying my knitting bag which is pretty heavy. I didn't have to drop it as soon as I got through the door.
   That wasn't the case last year. Last year I had to take the steps slowly. Usually I had to pause at the top to catch my breath. In fact last year walking anywhere was a slow process. When we walked in the woods we had to stop every few feet so I could catch my breath.
   That is what happens with someone suffering from severe anemia. I didn't know it at the time. I just chalked it up to being very dehydrated and maybe a little anemic. I was taking an iron supplement. I'm a health care professional , I know what I'm doing. What I didn't realize until after we got home from Door County last year was that I was in serious trouble.
    I paused inside the door of our room this year remembering last year. Suddenly I was swept with a deep appreciation for the ability to run/ walk up those stairs with no trouble. There was a time, not so long ago, when I couldn't.
   That might be one of the themes from our trip this year, so far at least. Appreciate the little things. The ability to walk. The ability to travel. Having the wonderful woods to walk in. Living in a country where someone thought to preserve those woods. The sunshine after a rainy day. Having a warm coat. Having a nice place to stay. Having friends.
   There are a lot of people who don't have one or more of the blessings that I have listed above. In fact C and I know people who have do not have those blessings and many others. Despite the fact that we are in the midst of a bit of trouble, we feel grateful. We are here and we have each other. We are healthy. These may seem like little things, but we will not take them for granted again.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project