Shop Small



   One of my favourite places to buy tea is no more. They were bought out by a coffee chain that has closed them down. I'd been buying tea there for a long time. In fact, they kind of spoiled me. I don't like tea in teabags anymore. I also like to brew different kinds of tea together to get different flavours.
  I had to find a new tea supplier.
   A few days ago C and I went to a deli in St Paul for a lunch date. As we drove to the deli I noticed a tea shop. I mentioned it to C and told him I wanted to check it out sometime. He agreed. We found a parking place and went into the deli.
   After lunch, we decided to talk a little walk. We walked about a block when I saw the tea shop on the next block. I asked if he minded us going in to check it out. He said yes. We walked across the street and over to the shop.
  I liked it the minute we got inside. It was warm and cosy looking, My glasses fogged up. There were shelves lined with pots, cups and tea quilts. There were shelves with large canisters of tea and smaller bags of tea for sale. To the right of the door was a small sitting area with tables and comfortable chairs.
  I went to the counter to look at their tea selection. They had samples to smell and a few samples to taste. I smelled an herbal chai that was wonderful. They had a large book that contained the rest of their stock. It wasn't as large as the selection from my former tea supplier, but it was ample enough.  I bought a bag of the chai I had smelled and was pleased to find that it was on sale. I have a new place to buy tea. On my way out I noticed a woman enjoying a pot while knitting in a chair in the corner of the shop. Wonderful.
  One of the things that I like about my new tea shop is that it is locally owned. It is not part of a chain. This has become more important to me in recent months. Ever since I started working at my new store, I've tried to support locally owned businesses. Those of us that work and own small businesses need to support other entrepreneurs.
  Small businesses are good for the local economy. A 2014 article by Forbes magazine (Why You Need to Support Small Businesses Sept. 2014) lists some a couple of ways small businesses help the economy. Small businesses created 63% percent of jobs between 1993 and 2013. Small business owners keep money in the local economy. They use local services and are also more likely to support local causes.  A Civic Economics Study in Grand Rapids Michigan found that spending $100 dollars at a local business will keep $68 dollars in the local economy compared to $43 dollars at a local chain.
  According to the Forbes article, there is a misconception that goods at small businesses are more expensive. The fact is that vendors control pricing, not the stores. Stores offering discounts must discuss this with the vendors in advance. Smaller businesses control their own pricing and can offer discounts.
   Larger stores are not always able to order out of stock items and get them right away. Trying to get a large chain to order something, in my experience, is difficult. Scamp has one brand of wet cat food that doesn't make him sick and will only eat one flavour. Most of the time the large store I go to to buy his food has only a case or two in stock. I have asked the staff to special order a larger quantity for me which I'm told is possible. Every time either the product does not get ordered or it is and then it is put into the store's inventory and sold without telling me. Smaller stores can often order things in and get them faster. They can also special order needed items in.
  Smaller businesses can keep a larger variety of items in stock. I can vouch for this. We stock many items in my pharmacy that I have not seen for many years. I have seen other small pharmacies that stock hot water bottles, ice bags and older cold and pain remedies that local customers prefer. Smaller business owners get to know their customers and can keep items that local people want in stock. In larger chains, thier stock is determined at the corporate level by people who do not know the community.
  Customer service is generally better at local businesses. I can tell you this from experience. Word gets around fast when a local business offers good or poor service. Many people like to patronize local businesses because they know who to talk to when there is a problem. I go to a locally owned bank for just that reason. After years of having multiple problems with the large chain bank I used to use, I started an account with a small local chain. The few times I've had a problem I've been able to talk to someone who is respectful and helpful. I didn't have to wait on hold for 10-20 minutes either.
  Part of the reason why C and I like Door County so much is the atmosphere. The shops and restaurants are diverse and it looks and feels different from other vacation spots. Part of this is due to the fact that the majority of businesses are owned by local people. It gives a special flavour to the communities on the peninsula. It also allows for creativity especially in restaurants where many of them serve products from local farms.
  C and I have always tried to patronize small businesses. Looking at all the benefits of doing so, we will probably try harder in the future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project