People Like Me?




      I'm going to start doing some volunteer work for the church. Last weekend I had an interview to discuss this matter. During the interview, I was told that the Bishop had said some very nice things about me. In the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, a man is Bishop ( similar to pastor or leader of a congregation of members) for a period of about 5 years or so. Our ward recently got a new Bishop. I asked, "Which Bishop?"  "Bishop Moore", was the reply.
   I was a little confused. Bishop Moore doesn't know me very well.  We did have a few conversations in the past. He was asked to teach the adult Sunday school class. I was so pleased that when the ward was asked to raise our hands to sustain him, I wanted to raise both my hands. (I didn't.) He was an excellent teacher who had a way of making the Scriptures applicable to daily life. He was and still is a dynamic teacher. Still, I was just one member of a large class and one who didn't say much. How could he say nice things about me?
  I was still puzzling about this after the interview. I wanted to tell my friend, President Campbell, about my new opportunity. He knows Bishop Moore better than I do. Maybe he would know why.
  I sent him an email and included a little comment about the nice things Bishop Moore had said. His response was that people who do know me have been saying nice things about me and what I do for years.
   This did not clear up my confusion. I could maybe understand this when I was teaching a women's class, but I hadn't taught in years. The only thing I do now I pick the hymns for the Sunday Sacrament meeting and help an elderly woman who has a little trouble getting around. These are not things that other people would notice.
   I guess it boils down to the fact that I don't understand why people like me. I'm quiet, and more than a little shy. I generally don't talk to people unless it is someone I know or if that someone is knitting or crocheting. During ward parties, my favourite place to be is in the kitchen washing dishes. I like bringing out the food and bringing the empty serving dishes back to the kitchen. I'm not someone who stands out. I blend into the background and I like it that way.
   It could have something to do with wanting to be humble and modest. It could be that I'm afraid that if I think people like me I'll become prideful and big-headed.  There's a song I heard long ago by Don McLean called, "Everybody Loves Me, Baby" The chorus starts, "Everybody loves me, baby. What's the matter with you?" I don't want to be like that.
  It could also have something to do with being a northern person and a female northern person at that. It might be a side effect of having worked in retail for so long. Retail workers expect others to be unhappy, we sometimes don't know what to do when someone is nice.
  A part of me would like to know who is saying the nice things and why? What did I do? Unfortunately, like how many licks it takes to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop, I may never know......

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project