Baking Day

 

   The first winter storm is happening this weekend. It's supposed to snow off and on all weekend. The temperatures are supposed to drop to well below zero. I love these weekends in the winter. It means we have to stay home.
   I'm all right with this. I have plans for this weekend. I'm going to bake cookies.
   Baking is something I love to do. I don't get to do it as much as I'd like because C and I just don't need the calories. I also work a lot these days.
  I am ready to do this. Yesterday, I had the night off so we were able to go grocery shopping. I bought flour, sugar, molasses and peanut butter. I got some Ritz crackers and some chocolate almond bark. I got some chopped dates and also raisins. Even thought I have no plan to make chocolate chip cookies I bought some anyway. They were on sale and who knows, they might be needed.
  Now I have to decide what to bake. One thing I always make is chocolate covered peanut butter sandwiches. Those are made by making little peanut butter sandwiches out of Ritz crackers and then dipping the sandwiches in chocolate almond bark. I like to make a variation on this instead of using peanut butter I use ginger cookie butter that I got from Trader Joe's. I put red sprinkles on these so we can tell which are which. These are always a favourite. I can't remember when I started making them.
  C has requested oatmeal raisin cookies. I haven't made these in a long time. I thought I might try something different with part of the batch. I am going to add chopped dates as well.
  C likes peanut butter blossoms but he doesn't like the chocolate in the middle of the cookie. I'll make some plain peanut butter cookies instead. I could add some chocolate chips part of the batch for some variety.
  One of my favorite cookies is molasses. I don't know why. I think it's an acquired taste.
  A few years ago my Dad gave me my grandmother's sugar cookie recipe. I've made this for a long time too. When I have time, I use my set of metal cookie cutters to make cut out sugar cookies. The only problem is that making cut outs take more time. Once you have them cut out and bakes you have to frost them and decorate them. You can't leave them plain. You just can't.
  If I have time I may make some cherry chocolate cookies. I think I got the recipe from a fellow Toastmaster. It's a plain cookie dough with chocolate chips and dried cherries. I can add chopped walnuts to it too. That will use up the chocolate chips I bought.
  If I counted correctly there are five different types. That's good variety. That is enough variety so that everyone will find at least one thing they like.
  I am looking forward to getting started!
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project