Merry Christmas





   Yesterday a man wished my staff and me a Merry Christmas. Then he hung his head a little and apologized for doing so. Earlier in the day he had wished another person Merry Christmas and received in return a short lecture on how he was being offensive and insensitive. I felt bad for him. He was not trying to be either. In fact he was trying to spread a little good will, something in very short supply these days. I cheerfully responded by saying, "Merry Christmas to you too" with a smile.
  I'm all for being more sensitive to those of other cultures faiths etc. I think sometimes we take this just a little too far.
  For the record, I do wish my customers Happy Holidays. I do this because my customers are a diverse group of people. I have no way of knowing what holiday any given customer may be celebrating at this time of year. It is not because I'm ashamed of being a Christian. I don't believe that by saying "Happy Holidays", I am participating in a war against Christmas or Christianity.
  Of the holidays that I know are celebrated at this time of year, they all stress kindness toward others. I think this is something we need to remember. When I was younger I celebrated Christmas only socially. For awhile I celebrated Yule or Solstice. If anyone ever wished me a Merry Christmas during these times in my life, I didn't not explain to them that I didn't celebrate this holiday. I didn't yell at them for being dismissive of my beliefs. I understood that they were trying, in thier own way, to wish me happiness at this season and would respond by wishing a Merry Christmas to them as well.
  This is a season for joy, happiness and good will toward others. Let's remember that it is the thought that counts. If someone wishes you a Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Happy New Year, Happy Hanukkah, Blessed  Yule, Happy Festivus or greeting from any holiday celebrated at this time of year, remember that they are trying to wish you something good and respond to the spirit of that wish in kind.
  Let's make this season one of goodwill toward all.
 
 Sophie,C,Colby and Scamp

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project