My Front Door





   It had not been a good day. I came to work at 8 am hoping to get a good head start on the days work. Normally I don't like coming on early for a 12 hour shift. The day is already long enough. However, we were going to be short one person.
  The day was busy, but we were able to keep up. I got a call from the tech coming in in the afternoon. She was sick and wanted to stay home. The problem was if she stayed home then I would be alone during the busiest part of the day. I asked her if she could come in for three hours. She agreed.
  At about fifteen after five things got bad in a hurry. A line of people formed at the pickup window. The phone started to ring non stop. The tech working with me did not know how to check people out or how to answer the phone. Even if she did, I wouldn't want her working with customers when she wasn't feeling well.
  I tried to take care of everyone the best that I could. Just when I thought the rush had ended a new wave of people came in. The phone rang and rang. I couldn't get to it. People brought in prescriptions to be filled. I told them it would be at least a 45 minute wait. I offered to call them when the medication was ready. It seemed to help.
  One man was angry and let his ire out on me. I didn't say anything. I was a little angry too, but I had to keep it to myself. I smiled as best I could and thanked people for being patient. The line never went down.
  Just before seven things quieted a little. I was able to breathe and starting working on the things that had been brought in. Another tech came in to help, the afternoon tech left immediately. Bit by bit the evening tech and I got things under control. I was even able to stop for a few minutes and have something to eat.
  C picked me up and drove me home. I was still steaming. He told me there was something on our front door. I was not happy. The last thing I needed was more stress. I wasn't stressed enough. He told me it wasn't bad.
  Then we pulled into the driveway. C paused so I could look at the front door. The light was turned on so I could clearly see that someone had decorated it. I got our of the car for a closer look.
   My front door was covered with paper hearts. Some of them had things written on them Some of them were outlines of hearts. The decorating had been done by the young women's group at church. I was touched. These were the teen girls of the church and none of them knew me except as the weird woman who wears a hat to church every Sunday. There was a small bag of chocolate kisses hanging on the doorknob.
  Surprise didn't go anywhere near as far as how I felt. As bad as I felt, I was grateful to the band of young women that had decorated my door. I wondered when they did it. I wondered if they had planned it ahead of time. I wondered why my/our door had been chosen.
  I took the chocolate into the house. We decided to leave the decorations up. When they start getting old I will take them down, but I will keep them someplace safe. Those young women have no idea how happy their decorations made me or how much it means to me that they would come to my house to do this because none of them live close by.
   I was told once that when you join the LDS church you can no longer believe in coincidences.  Everything has a reason even though you may not know what that reason is yet. You could say the decorations on my door were a sign from God that I was loved and not forgotten. There was no way anyone could have known what kind of day I had.
  I emailed one of the young women's group leaders to ask why my door had been chosen. I haven't heard back. maybe I never will and that's all right. For now I will enjoy the chocolate and smile when I look at my front door. I will remember that no matter what someone does care.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project