I've got the one I want





   I wasn't sure what to write about today. It would need to be something with a Valentine's Day theme as the holiday is tomorrow. I thought maybe I'd already written enough columns about love. I asked Scamp or Colby if either of them would want to take over for me this weekend. I was turned down flat. Scamp wanted to supervise C while he was cleaning out the refrigerator. Colby didn't feel inspired to write. I guess that means I'm on my own for this one.
  When I have a block I sometimes turn to the Internet or Facebook for potential inspiration. I found what I needed in a post from my stepdaughter Elin. She posted one of her wedding pictures. Since the marriage ended in divorce, she photo shopped the face of  a popular actor where the face of the groom was. It was a pretty funny picture I must admit. It made me remember some of my other Facebook friends who like to post pictures of handsome men sometimes sans shirt on their Facebook pages.
  That is something I've never done. I'm pretty conservative and really old fashioned. To me it seems wrong to post pictures like that. I would say the same thing about a married man posting pictures of women scantily clad or not on his Facebook page.
  Those of you who have read this column know that I am totally and happily smitten with C. To be honest other men hold no temptation for me. I'm not above an admiring glance at any of Heavenly Father's well made creatures, but that's all it is. Good looks are nice, but looks aren't everything and they can change with time.
  I wasn't one of those girls who spent time daydreaming about my future boyfriend or husband. I never dated or thought I would be married. That was for attractive girls, girls with long blonde hair that were thin, Girls who like to drink, dance and party. Short, stout, bookish, dark haired girls who are socially awkward wouldn't get to have those experiences.
  Because I assumed that I was not dating or marriage material, I spent my time learning to be the best pharmacist I could be. I adopted a couple cats for company and bought myself comfortable places to live. I became independent because  I knew that I had to learn to take care of myself. One I got a little older I knew that being independent was going to turn men off. I assumed that men want a woman who will make them the center of the universe. That was what my friends did once they had a boyfriend. I was determined that if, by some miracle I wound up dating someone, he would be important to me, but not the focus of my life.
  I did wind up dating a man for a few years. It was not a good relationship. He wanted me to be his ideal woman. I wanted him to love me as I already was. We both spent far too long waiting for the other to change. I learned a lesson from that relationship. I also vowed that I was not going to have another man in my life.
  Then came C. He was tall, dark handsome and a musician. He was gentle, respectful and liked my cats. (They in turn liked him.) He was all right with me being a pharmacist and all right with me being well...me. That was a huge things in my book. Everyone else in my life liked me except for this or that. To have someone in my life that didn't put a condition on his affection seemed like a miracle. At first I thought we would be good friends. As time went on we started talking about marriage. I realized that I wanted him in my life on a permanent basis.
  He has so many good qualities. He's fun and forgiving. He's kind and generous. He puts up with all my little quirks. He supports me when I need it. He's there for me in the bad and good times. He is my best friend. Is he perfect? No. He's human and no humans are perfect. He is, however, a good fit for me.
  I don't need to look at pictures of dashing movie or TV stars.  I've been blessed and lucky to have already the one that is more than I could ever want.  Someone said that you marry the one that you think you know and then you spend the rest of your life finding out who they really are. When you do this you don't have time to look at someone else.
 
  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project