A Day Off





  Yesterday was a really good day for me. I'd been looking forward to it for several weeks. I was going to get to spend the day with my friend, Dana.
  This is something we do every once in awhile when we both can get a day off on the same day. The day usually involves lunch, a trip to a yarn shop and some time spend working on crafts at Dana's house while drinking tea and talking.
  We had found out about an authentic German bakery in Minneapolis a week or so ago. We decided that we would start our day by going there to buy broetchen and anything else that looked good. Then next stop would be a yarn shop followed by lunch and craft time.
  The bakery was really nice. I wish it was closer. We each bought broetchen and a loaf of bread. I bought a pretzel for C as well.
  Then we went to the yarn shop. the plan was that I was going to follow her so we would both arrive there at the same time.  I knew about where the shop was so I turned onto the highway. Dana and I were separated. I didn't panic. I knew the name of the shop and roughly where it would be. I got onto the interstate and turned off at the correct exit. Then I drove right past the shop.
  I took the next left turn hoping that it would be a back entrance to the shop. No such luck. I wound up on a narrow street in a housing development area. I kept driving. I was fairly sure that I would find a main road and get where I needed to go.
  Finally I found the road I wanted. After a minute or two to get my bearings I tried to find the shop again. I nearly missed it again, but was able to get into the turn lane and find the shop. Then I called Dana. She was about to pull into the parking lot. We went into the shop together.
  One of the many things that I like about Dana is that she is very patient with me in yarn shops. I like looking at everything, feasting my eyes on all the colours and textures available.  I see so many things that I'd like to buy. The bad part is that I wouldn't know what to do with it. My rule of thumb is that I only buy yarn when I have a specific purpose for it. I needed to buy some extra chunky yarn in order to make a neck warmer for a friend of mine. I found just the right colour. I also found a nice colour to make myself one as well.
  I was also looking for undyed cotton. They make nice washcloths for my grandson, Mikal. Mikal has very sensitive skin so I like to use undyed cotton. They didn't have any, but they did have some vegetable dyed yarn made out of silk and linen. I liked one colour of it so much that I bought three hanks of it. It will make a lovely shawl for summer use.
   Next came lunch at a nearby Mexican restaurant. We spent a lot of time chatting about this and that. We talked about all kinds of stuff, car accidents we'd been in, Facebook and food.
  We climbed into our cars and drove to Dana's. I wanted to follow her because I wasn't sure how to get to her house. I followed a car that I was pretty sure was hers until I saw the license plate. It had Minnesota plates. Since data lives in Wisconsin, it couldn't be her car. Rats! I was going to have to rely on my memory of the route she told me. I knew that I needed to get back on the interstate and I knew the exit to take. I hoped I'd remember what to do after that.
  Oddly enough the car I was following seemed to be going to the same place. It got off at the same exit that I did and took the same turn onto the county road. I followed it down the road to a stop light. I was preparing to go straight through the light when a head popped out of the car's window. It was Dana, I had been following her the entire time. She was in a left turn lane. I turned left to and followed her all the way to her house.
  Once we got there we settled in for some serious knitting. Dana made tea and then we went to her downstairs family room. She turned on the fireplace, put on some music and we got to work. I pulled out a scarf I was working on. Dana pulled out the sweater she was knitting for her husband, but realized that she needed him to try it on before she went farther. She pulled out a half mitten that she was working on instead. We chatted more and sipped tea while we worked. Her son, Faelen, came down when he got back from school. He had his hamster, Henry, with him and wanted to show him off. I gave Henry a little pet. He is a cute little guy.
  I finished the scarf I was working on. it was time for me to go home. I wanted to drive while it was still light out. I wanted to make sure I wouldn't get lost. Dana drew me a map with directions on it. I gathered my things, put on my coat and gave Dana a hug. I got into my car and headed home. It was such a good day. I hope we can do it again sometime.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project