Having Enough





   A customer of mine called me to order a few things that she needed. I asked her to wait just a minute. I was in the middle of something knew that I would forget to complete my task if interrupted. I told her that I would be done in just a minute.
  She said, "You know, that's what I like about you." I didn't reply as I was working on the last bit of thing I needed to do. She continued, "You know what else I like about you? You have always had enough."
  Fortunately I was done with my task because what she said stopped me cold. That conversation had taken place a long time ago. I barely remembered it now. "Every time I think about it, it makes me tear up," she finished.
  My task finished I turned my attention to her and what she needed. After we had finished our conversation, I hung up the phone. I was still a little stunned by what she said. I couldn't believe that she even remembered it.
  Like many of the people that come to my pharmacy she and her husband have a limited income. Her husband has many health conditions so I've had plenty of opportunity to talk with her. I do my best to help keep the costs of her husband's medications as low as possible.
  I'm not sure how the topic even came up. I'm guessing it was possibly the end of the month and money was tight. We were probably talking about this when I told her that I felt very lucky. I had always had enough. Even when I was in college and didn't have much money I always had enough to pay for what I needed. I remember saying this with absolute conviction and thankfulness. Somehow she had remembered this and it still touched her even to this day.
  Being happy with what you have is a rare thing these days. As a culture we seem to be focused on the latest thing, the most advanced technology and having more of everything. It's not cool to have last year's phone or wear last season's fashions.
  My dad taught me to be the way I am. He never came right out and told me to be happy with what I had. Dad taught more by example than anything else. He taught me to buy the best that I could afford and to take care of it so it would last. He taught me to manage money and to think before buying things. Buy the things based on usefulness, not on how many fancy features it has. I have never, in all the years I've known him, ever heard him complain or comment on not having enough. I know sometimes things got a little tight, but we always managed. He,too, has always had enough.
  When I was in high school and looking at jobs, many of my classmates were looking at careers that had high salaries. I was more interested in finding something that would allow me to earn enough  to feed, house and clothe me with a little left over to save. I didn't need a pile of money. I consider having a lot of money as bad as not having enough. A wealthy person never knows if they are liked for the person they are or are liked because of the money they have. They say that money may not buy happiness, but you can rent it for awhile. It's true. You can rent it, but it isn't real and it doesn't last.
  All through college, I was always blessed to have enough. I didn't have to worry that my loans wouldn't cover my costs for that year. Looking back I feel so blessed to be able to say that. I was able to find an internship that paid enough to cover my living expenses. Once I got my license I made enough to take care of myself. My first big purchase was a stereo with a five disc CD player. I still have it and use it most of the time.
  I'm still surprised that she remembered what I said and even more surprised that it still touches her. maybe I caused her to rethink her own circumstances. Maybe she has realized that she also really has enough.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project