Put on the Hat



  During a recent Relief Society lesson, the teacher used a vintage hat on a stand as a prop. It was a lovely hat with a small veil perched on a dark wooden stand. After the lesson I asked her if it was her hat. She told me that it was and that she had a few more hats.
  "You should wear them," I said. She demurred and said something about maybe someday wearing some of the hats that she had. I felt bad. If the hat on the stand was an indicator of the other hats in her collection she has good taste in hats. She is also a beautiful woman both inside and out who could wear hats with style and class if she wanted.
  I have wondered why people do this. Why do people buy things only to put them away for "someday"? In the movie Sideways, one of the characters mentions that he has a bottle of vintage wine that he has never opened because he was waiting for a special occasion. The woman he is talking to tells him to get the bottle out, open it and drink it. She tells him that the day he opens the bottle, that's the special occasion.
  Writer Erma Bombeck alluded to this in a column titled "If I Had My Life to Live Over". "I would have burnt the pink candle sculptured like a rose before it melted while being stored" "I would have eaten popcorn in the 'good' living room."
  I have a collection of teapots and teacups. I found them in antique shops and some were given as presents. One rule I have is that any pot or cup must be something I can use. Sometimes when I make myself tea I will find a cup in the display case and use it. When I have a friend over and I serve them some tea, I choose a cup for them that I think they will enjoy using. Why should I let those cups sit in a case collecting dust? The sight of it might make someone else feel good or special. When I look at that cup, I can remember the time I spent with my friend and what a good time we had.
  I have some jewelry that I like to wear. When I was single I would buy a new ring or necklace as a birthday present to myself. I don't wait for a special occasion to wear these things. I wear them whenever the mood strikes me. I wear them when I go out to lunch with someone. I wear necklaces to work. You can't see them because my name tag, which is on a beaded chain, usually covers it up. I do it anyway. I know I have it on.
  C and I have several musical instruments. I have heard of people who buy instruments for display or decoration. They can't play the instrument, but it looks good. I've never understood that. Instruments were meant to be played. They are meant to bring joy and comfort to the musician and to those who listen. Every instrument that we own is playable and we play them as much as possible. We don't need a special occasion or even an audience. Even practicing with one of my harps is soothing and enjoyable.
   I'm making washcloths to practice knitting. When I bought yarn for these washcloths I chose pretty colours, colours that I would like. I know they are going to get dirty and stained. That doesn't matter. Why shouldn't I do my dishes and wash my face with pretty hand knitted washcloths? Why should I save all the nice things I own or make to use only for guests or on special occasions?
  Eat pizza off the good china. Drink orange juice out of a stemmed glass. Make that recipe that you are saving for company on a Tuesday night. Wear the silk scarf. Burn the scented candle you bought a few months ago. Don't wait for someday. Don't wait for some special day that may or may not come. Take the hat off the stand and wear it. You'll be happy that you did.
  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project