I'm not watching

When Catherine Middleton steps out of her Rolls Royce to go into Westminster Abbey people will be watching. There will be about 2,000 people in the church, thousands of people outside and millions of people tuned in on TV sets,computers screens,notebooks,Ipads and Ipods the world over.
There is one person I know will not be watching. Me. Yes, that's right. Despite the fact that I have the day off, I will not be glued to the TV watching the wedding of the decade.
I remember being one of those young girls watching Diana Spencer walk down the aisle of St. Paul's Cathedral. I remember how she bungled the groom's name. (Easy to do when you have four of them.) It was the big fairy tale, the beautiful bride who married the handsome prince. (Well..he has nice eyes...) Happily ever after. Or not.
I also watched the wedding of Sarah Ferguson to Prince Charles' younger brother Andrew. It was smaller and much less extravagant and I ate up every detail.
I even watched whatever parts of Prince Charles' second wedding to Camilla Parker Bowles were televised. I had to admit that was blatant curiosity. I really wanted to see how they were going to handle it and also to what the bride was going to wear. The clothes were nice, but the hat she wore for the church blessing was atrocious.
As interested as I was in those affairs back then, I just am not interested in this one. Maybe it's because I'm older. Maybe it's because I'm tired of the myriad of articles on the Internet.
Every little detail seems to require some space. Some of the articles were interesting. I didn't know that Queen Victoria's wedding dress had been preserved and I also didn't know that royal brides usually have children as bridesmaids. (A custom I truly don't understand.) The rest were about about who was invited, who was angry at not being invited, details of souvenirs, speculation on what title the couple would be given and other assorted silly things. There was even an article about why they won't kiss in the church and why the bride won't throw her bouquet. (No, it's not because the bouquet would be bigger than her bridesmaids.)
I find myself feeling sorry for both of them. Their wedding is going to be compared to that of William's parents nearly 30 years ago. There will be few moments out of the public eye for both of them. Catherine will need to carefully consider everything she does, because it will be noticed and discussed probably ad nauseum. I'm sure for a few years she will be compared to her late mother-in-law.
The good news is that at age 29 , she is more mature than Diana, who had just turned 20 at the time of her marriage. Catherine and William have also been a couple for several years and spent some time apart. They are closer in age and have some shared experiences as they met in college. This one could work.
Have fun on Friday, kids, with any luck you will only have to do this once. I hope the weather is nice,that the service goes well and that you will be as happy as C and I am. Best Wishes
Oh...and I also hope that Camilla wears a nice hat.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project