Lace 'em up

It was time. I've been waiting since mid September. It is now warm enough and light enough for me to do something I've been itching to do. Run. Outside. In the fresh air.
I run at about 5:30 in the morning. It's really the only time I have consistently open to do this. The problem is that it is not safe to run in the dark where I live. This means I have to stop in the fall and start up again in the spring. Once I can see down the street clearly, it's time to get back out there.
The first run of the year is a little nerve racking. I try to stay in condition as best I can during the winter, but I always lose a little bit. On one hand, I'm longing to get out there and stretch my legs. On the other hand, I'm afraid of how much I've lost over the winter.
This morning I got up and after a short argument with C over whether it was still dark outside, (He thinks if the streetlights are on, it must be dark.) I laced on my running shoes and headed out.
I always start with a quick stretch. I haven't lost any flexibility, which is good. I start out with a quick walk to the end of my street. This is my warm up. I keep walking until I get past the corner. Now I start to run. I try to run slowly as this isn't a sprint. Pacing has always been a challenge for me.
As I get towards the corner, I feel my self getting winded. I'm running too fast and I'm a bit out of shape. I round the corner and run just a little bit more before I have to stop and take off the jacket I'm wearing. It's warmer out than I thought. I go back to the quick walk and catch my breath a little. Then I start up again. This time I'm running up a short incline. At the top I have to stop again.
This time I decide that I will walk until I get to the end of the street and then start running again. I walk as fast as I can. Once I get around the third corner, I start back up again. This is a busier street and I watch the cars pass by. It starts to rain a little bit. Not too hard, just enough to let you know that it's wet outside. I don't mind as it is refreshing.
I make it to the middle of the block before I have to stop again. I walk past the fast food restaurants and the donut shop headed for the last corner.
I walk around the last corner and start running again. Although I'm running downhill, I'm not pacing myself and I get winded again. I slow down and run to the big tree. I stop there and catch my breath. There is a driveway ahead. I'm going to walk to the drive way and then start running. I always run home. I don't care if I start 50 feet in front of the house, when I get to my driveway I'm running.
Once I get to my driveway, I stop. Not too bad, not bad at all.... I couldn't run as far as I did when I had to stop in the fall, but I didn't do too bad. I have a good base to build on.
I go into the kitchen where a surprised C is cooking himself breakfast. He was not expecting me to be back that soon. I was gone for about 20 minutes.
It's good to be out again.....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project