The kids are all right

Lots of things have been happening in our family lately. Several of my stepchildren have been making big changes in their lives. One of the pleasures of step motherhood is being able to see them make these steps.
Today we took Carrie grocery shopping and then out for lunch. Her birthday is coming up. C and I will both be working on that day so we chose this morning to celebrate. I always like spending time with Carrie.
She moved out and into a house with several other theatre students after this past Christmas. The last time we went shopping she was still settling in and was on winter break. Classes resumed about a month ago. I was wondering how she was doing and I'm pleased to see that she is doing well. She likes the much shorter commute to school. She has a cosy room on the second floor of an old house in a decent neighborhood. The inside looks clean and comfortable, there is a large living room and kitchen with three fridges that they all share.
She told us that she is planning on spending spring break in California, She has several friends that live there who have invited her to visit. I'm glad she has that coming up as it is always nice to have something to look forward to. I also don't have any postcards from California so it will be nice to get one to add to my collection.
Jake and Mariah have bought a house. They have been looking for a long time. Mariah's father is a realtor and has been helping them, something I'm quite thankful for. It has been a frustrating search for them. They want to live in a specific area and were having trouble finding a house that they would like and that they could afford. I would have thought with all the stories about foreclosures in the news that there would be a large selection to pick from. I was mistaken.
I'm going to be working the weekend that they move. The only helpful thing I can do is collect boxes. Working in a pharmacy gives me access to plenty of good sturdy boxes for moving. It's a perk of the job I have used several times.
I'm very happy for both of them. I also know that buying a house can be overwhelming and a bit intimidating. Committing to something can be pretty scary, especially if you've never done it before. That and moving are the two hardest parts of buying a house. The fun part is knowing that you can do whatever you want. You can hang things wherever you want and paint the walls any colour you wish. You don't have to deal with noisy neighbors or bad landlords. The thermostat is totally under your control. Once they get settled I think they'll really like home ownership. Little Patrick, their son, will have lots of room to run and play, stairs to climb and a yard of his own.
Carmen moved to Texas in January. I knew she wanted to move there, but wasn't sure if she'd be able. She and Elin live together and seem to be doing well. Carmen found a job there and seems to like it. She's also starting to write again. I know that she likes to write and I've encouraged her to keep a notebook with her so she can jot down things as she thinks of them.
She's also good at graphic art too. I've seen some of the things she does with pictures that she and others have taken. I hope that she will eventually find a job that allows her to use the creative skills that she has. She's still young though and has plenty of time.
The kids are doing all right. :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project