Blue nail polish

I envy my stepdaughters. Not a lot and not the obsessive consuming kind of envy. They are four of the most beautiful young women I know.
Denise has long,thick, wavy black hair and high cheekbones. She has this very classic dark beauty. She's also tall and carries herself well. She must have taken some dance lessons when she was younger as she doesn't walk like she she ashamed of her height.
Elin is blonde although her hair has been many colours. She has a big smile and lovely eyes.
Carrie has long wavy blonde hair that she styles in a ton of really cute ways. She's got brown eyes too and looks great all the time. I've never seen a bad picture of her,ever.
Carmen is the exotic one. She has dark hair, dark skin,dark eyes and looks very mysterious. She's not real tall, but somehow you just don't notice that. She reminds me of the gypsy main character in the opera "Carmen".
Not only are they all beautiful, but they are also smart and talented. Elin and Carrie both play guitar. Carmen does amazing things with photographs. I have heard that Denise has an excellent singing voice although I've not heard it. I do know that she is smart and has a wicked sense of humour.
You'd think that I'd be envious of their beauty and talent, I'm not. What I envy is their ability to do different things with their hair and clothes. For instance, Elin likes to colour her hair. It's usually black or dark brown on the bottom and blonde on top. Elin also has a lot of tattoos including one that covers most of one of her arms. I saw one picture of Carmen where her hair was carrot coloured. Carrie likes to wear big dangling earrings and chunky jewelry and it doesn't look overdone.
I can't do this. I'm in one of the most conservative professions on earth. One of the first preceptors I had on internship said, "We dispense the drugs, we do not look like we take them." I think only funeral directors are more conservative. I also think that there is nothing more ridiculous than a woman "of a certain age" dressing like a teenager. This doesn't leave much room for wild and crazy things when it comes to appearance. Once in awhile though, I like to do something different. Not go out and get a tattoo and body piercing different, but not the same old safe conservative things.
A few weeks ago I had my hair done. The woman who does my hair offered me a paraffin dip for my hands. I never turn down a paraffin dip as my hands are always dry and it feels good. While I was dipping my hands I noticed a bottle of blue nail polish. It was a dark shade of blue, not navy and had a slight shimmery matte look in the bottle. It was a pretty shade and I mentioned it to my hair stylist. I looked at it wistfully. I could never wear that. I wash my hands quite a bit. Between that and the hand sanitizer any polish on my hands shows wear after a few hours.
I went back to my seat so the stylist could finish my hair. I thought about the blue nail polish. It wouldn't look bad with my skin tone, but it was just too wild. I do wear polish on my toes in the summer, but the blue would be too daring.
Wait a minute, I thought. Why can't I paint my toes in the winter? I tend to go barefoot around the house. At work the toes would be covered up. Maybe I could get away with wearing it in the summer, after all sometimes I paint my toes light purple. I can step out of my comfort zone once in awhile.
After I finished I went to the counter to pay. The woman helping me asked if I needed any products. "Yes," I said. I pointed to the nail polish and said I would have one bottle of that. She took it off the shelf and handed it to me. I paid for my things and left with a smile on my face.
A few days later I gave myself a pedicure and painted my nails blue. As good as it looked in the bottle, it looks great on my toes. Maybe I'll be daring and wear it this summer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project