Cold

We are having a bit of a cold spell in Minnesota. I don't call it a cold spell, my definition of cold is a bit different. To me when the temperature is zero or below Fahrenheit it can be called cold. Anything else is just normal winter weather for this part of the country. Button up your coat and deal with it.
I thought I'd read somewhere that there was a language where there were over 20 different words for "snow". I'm not sure if this is true or not. There are different kinds of snow. There is slushy snow, small flake snow, and the really pretty snow that falls lightly to the ground and looks like sparkles from a snow globe.
Assuming that it is true and somewhere there is multiple words for "snow", I think we should also have multiple words for "cold". My South Carolina in laws would not believe it, but there are different kinds of cold.
The worst kind, at least in my opinion, is wet cold. This is when it is cold outside and snowing or sleeting. Wet cold can happen in any season. This one is miserable because it seems to go right into your bones. It doesn't matter how good your coat is,you come in from outside cold, wet,shivering wondering if you will ever be able to warm up.
There is the sharp cold. This is when the air feels very crisp. This can happen in the fall and winter. It can actually be sort of pleasant in the fall. You can smell the leaves and there is a light frost on the ground in the morning. The air smells faintly of a wood fire from nearby fireplace or fire pit. In the winter it is the cold on a sunny day, when it looks like it should be warmer, but it isn't. If there is any wind it feels like it is biting into uncovered skin.
There is deceptive cold. This happens in the winter and early spring. It's the first day over 30 degrees after a spell of temps in the single digits. It feels warm when it really isn't. I've seen people washing cars, riding bikes and doing other things. When I lived in North Dakota, I even saw some guys wandering around wearing shorts!
My favourite kind of cold is dry cold. It's cold, clear and there is no wind. You know it is cold out, yet it doesn't feel that cold. (kind of like a dry heat doesn't feel hot.) This is my favourite, because the cold doesn't feel so oppressive. This is perfect ice skating,sledding, skiing, winter hiking weather. The best part is that you can come inside and quickly warm up with a hot beverage.
I don't envy people who live in the south. They may have balmy weather and perfect, even tans. They may be able comfortably grill outdoors in any season. (I do know some people in Wisconsin who grill out even in the winter.) They will never know the warmth and comfort of a good blanket,the pleasure of roasting marshmallows in a fireplace during a snow storm,the thrill of going down the local sledding hill on a new sled and the taste of a well made cup of hot chocolate after being outside for a few hours. These are pleasures reserved for the hardy souls who call the northern states home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project