Fourth-Down Conversion

As you may have expected,C and I watched last evening's Super Bowl game. We had stocked up on the appropriate food and were well prepared to enjoy it on the big screen TV in the family room.
I was enjoying the game up until Green Bay had several key players go out for injuries and the Steelers were picking up steam. The lead that the Pack had built was melting away like a snowball in a blast furnace. They weren't playing well at all. I was getting frustrated.
Finally, after one of the receivers dropped the ball for the third or fourth time, I couldn't stand it anymore. I threw my cheesehead hat on the ground. "That's enough! I'm done. Pittsburgh has won."
C is the eternal optimist. He did not see it as hopeless. I don't know how. The offense wasn't putting up any points and the defense couldn't stop Roethlisberger. The receivers couldn't hang onto the ball to save their souls and were doggone lucky that a Steeler had not intercepted any of them.
I folded my laundry and went downstairs for more. I checked on C who was still watching the game. It was the end of the third quarter and GB had the ball. C turned his cap around so the bill was facing the back. "Rally Cap", he said. I went upstairs for my traditional green ball cap and put the cheesehead hat over it. Green Bay was still leading. I was hoping that the Pack would get another touchdown to solidify their lead. Instead they took a field goal which to me made their lead vulnerable.
The Steelers had the ball. It was near to the end of the game and the slim GB lead was still holding. If the Pack could just prevent them from scoring they could still pull this off. Roethlisberger threw a pass. It was intercepted. With less than one minute left in the game it looked the the Pack had won. I waited to make sure that it wouldn't be called as a penalty. When GB took a knee, we started to celebrate. They won! Despite losing two key players they pulled it off. We high fived and I danced around the family room. The boys had done it! The Lombardi Trophy was going to be coming home! Yahoo!
I sat down and C and I began to watch the post game wrap-up and trophy presentation. C leaned over and said six of the sweetest words he's ever said to me.
"I am now a Packer fan."
I wasn't trying to convert C. I knew he was a Vikings fan when we married. Because we have several differences, we instituted a "non-conversion" policy. It applies to religion,politics and sports. What it means is that neither of us is allowed to force our views on the other. We can discuss and encourage, but nagging and use of force are prohibited.
I knew that C enjoyed our visits to Lambeau Field and that he was frustrated that the Vikings, a team in a larger market, could not do as well. Over the past few years he had seen the Vikings squander their resources. They had talented players yet could never seem to go anywhere. Meanwhile the Packers were toiling away in one of the best stadiums in the country, in a small blue collar city with an incredible fan base. How is this possible?
Apparently the Super Bowl win was the last straw. He had been let down by the Vikings too often and was ready to cheer for the Pack. I was sorry about his lost faith in the Vikings, but pleased that I now have another family member that will cheer on the Packers with me.
The next time we go to Green Bay, I will get him a present,a white Aaron Rodgers jersey.
Go Pack Go!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project