A Life Without Cheese is No Life at All

 


        Lately I've been watching a vegan cooking channel on YouTube. I started watching it because the content creator had a lot of good tofu recipes. There recipes mostly have ingredients that I already have or could easily obtain if I wanted to. 

        I look at a lot of things that she cooks. On her channel, eating a plant based diet seems to be pretty simple and affordable. Everything looks so good, especially the kale salad that you can customize with all kinds of things. (The secret is massaging the kale.) I could see myself adopting this type of eating. Except for one thing.

        Cheese. Well actually the whole  dairy category. I like milk and yogurt, but I love cheese. I love almost all cheese made from cow's milk. Cheddar cheese, cream cheese, cottage cheese, asiago cheese are all good things in my opinion. 

        Maybe it's because I have some Wisconsin roots. Maybe it's because I've fallen for the ads from the dairy industry telling me how healthy milk is. Mostly, I just like how these products taste.

        I grew up eating cheese. One of my favourite snacks was and still is cheese melted on Triscuit crackers. I used to put cheese on broccoli and cauliflower because it was the only way I would eat them. My two favourite foods growing up were tacos and pizza which both have cheese. In fact I really like the cheese pizza from Costco's food court. There are few things better than good melted cheese.

        When C and I go to The Melting Pot to have fondue, my favourite course isn't the dessert. It's the cheese course at the beginning.

        I know that cheese, yogurt and cream can be made from plant based milk, but I just can't imagine how they would taste. I've drank soy milk before and I can taste the soy. The only way to cover it up is to put chocolate in it. Maybe I'm wrong, but I imagine that almond milk and coconut milk based products would have similar issues.

        I'm sure the content creator would be appalled at the fact that I make her buffalo tofu salad recipe with Duke's mayonnaise and greek dairy yogurt. She doesn't have to know. I'll keep enjoying the best of both worlds.

       

        

        

       

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Barnaby's New "Toy"

Second chance

Goodbye Mom