Books

 



      The books I reserved a few days ago are at the library. I'm very excited to read them. Two of them were referenced on a podcast I like to listen to. I reserved one of them because I was curious. Then fourth book I reserved because I watched the movie version of the book, but never read the book. Since most of the time the book is better than the movie, I thought I should read it.

     The first two book are "Rage Becomes Her" by Soraya Chemaly and "Atlas of the Heart" by Brene Brown. These books were quoted in a podcast episode on anger and how angry woman is usually used as an insult. I had something happen recently that has made me angry, reading the first book seems like a good idea.  Brene Brown is quoted on the podcast a lot. I'll be honest, I wasn't really interested in anything she wrote because I didn't think it was applicable. However it seems she is very popular and a few women I respect are big fans. I thought it would be interesting to read one of her books. 

     The third book is "Counting the Cost" by Jill Duggar Dillard and Derick Dillard. I'll admit to a little curiosity about the Duggar family. I never watched any of their shows, but did follow the news about them for a bit.  The uber conservative beliefs held by the head of the family have made me a little uneasy. Also as a feminist, any system that requires women to submit to their husbands and treats them more like property than as human beings is sick making. I've seen families much smaller have problems when older siblings are required to parent younger sibling and where no one gets much meaningful time with their parents. Add  to that having to grow up on TV and maybe not having a whole lot of privacy. It just seems like a hard way to grow up.

    I read "Becoming Free Indeed" by Jinger Duggar Vuolo last year. It was interesting to read. "Counting the Cost" came out at the same time I read the first book. I planned to reserve it, but the hold list was over 20 people long. I decided to wait. In the meantime I watched the documentary "Shiny Happy People: Duggar Family Secrets". It was fascinating. It also helped me to understand the bad reputation Christianity has received the past several years.

    The last book is "Sense and Sensibility" by Jane Austen.  I watched the movie of the same name with Emma Thompson, Kate Winslet, Alan Rickman and Hugh Grant many years ago and like it a lot. In fact, I have the DVD of the movie. I don't remember ever reading the book. 

   It is not the first Jane Austen book I read. A few years ago, I was talking about books with a woman I knew. I said that I didn't like Jane Austen books because I didn't like "hand wringing women."  It turned out that Jane Austen happened to be this woman's favourite author. As penance, I read "Pride and Prejudice" which was a good read. While I'm still not a Jane Austen fan, preferring Mercedes Lackey and Robert B. Parker, I admit I was stereotyping her works.

   It's not raining today so it is a good day to walk to the library and start reading.

    




   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

A Letter to RB

Released