"Best of Humanity"

 


    This morning I watched a memorial service for seven people who worked for World Central Kitchen distributing food in Gaza. They were killed as they left a warehouse on a food distribution mission.

    The service had beautiful music and verses of Scripture read by an imam, a rabbi and a Roman Catholic Archbishop. I was surprised to see these faith come together. That alone made a great impression on me.

    José Andrés, who founded and runs the charity, gave a eulogy. He spoke of each person that was killed telling a bit about them and what they brought to the organization. It was clear he cared for these people and their loss was very hard for him. He spoke of  the work that his charity does not only providing food to those in need but letting them know that they are not alone, treating them with  dignity and respect. He called the seven workers "the best of humanity" who took risks to feed people they did not know. Their examples should inspire us to do better, to be better,” he said.

    This last quote made an impression on me. I firmly believe that it is my duty to make things better wherever I find myself, but am I? Helping people that are currently living in the midst of war is not something I'm able to do. I can help people around me. I can keep my eyes open for opportunities to make things betting around me.

    That's something we can all do.

    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project