Assessing the Landscape

 


    Now that the weather has been warmer (and then colder and then warmer). I decided it might be a good time to look around and see how things are growing. I was a little concerned due to the lack of snow that we'd lose a few things.

    There are a lot of tulips that have come up. They come up every year. It seems like we get more and more of them. I enjoy the fact that they come up in random spots. This year, I plan to mark where they are so I can move them around at the appropriate time.

     While the tulips have lots of buds coming up, the amaryllis do not. The amaryllis live indoors. They have lots of lovely green leaves, but no buds. The two plants I gave my Dad have no buds on them either. Maybe next year.

    The daisies that I transplanted last fall are growing. C thought they were all dead, because of the dried stalks that were laying in the area. When I moved the stalks away, I found green shoots. I was pretty happy about that because I didn't think I had watered them enough when I transplanted them. That means I'll have a splash of colour in the yard and the lily plants will have more room.

    The lilac and big mock orange bushes are started to show leaves. Unfortunately the mock orange will not have any blossoms this years because it was cut back. Flowers only appear on branches that grew the year before. 

    The mini mock is showing signs of life. I didn't fertilize as much last year as I wanted to so I'm grateful. This year I will take better care of it. I'm hoping that it will grow a little bigger.

    I want to get some carrots planted as soon a possible. They grew well last year. I'm hoping to get two crops which I can do if I plant soon enough. I will also grow some bachelor buttons from seed again. they were very pretty and lasted a long time.

    We plan to remove the patch of day lilies from the front year and replace it with something else, maybe a peony bush. We also need to clean up the plants surrounding the deck in the back yard which are starting to overgrow. I'm hoping to grow some ferns there. I think that would look nice.

     C says it's supposed to be another really hot summer. I hope he's wrong. I'd like to go back to having breakfast on the deck every once in awhile and doing more biking than we did last year.  We'll have to see. I see that the sun is shining today and it's supposed to be nice out.

Have a good day!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project