What Did I Do to Deserve this?

 



      I had lunch with Dana, my friend/sister this week. It was the first time I've seen her her since my birthday. Earlier in the fall she went to England. Partly in jest I asked her to find a teacup for me. For some reason I think it's cool to drink tea from a cup that comes from a country know for tea drinking. I was expecting a plain stoneware cup, nothing fancy.

   When we met for lunch she gave me the cup she had found for me. Inside the box was the most beautiful teacup I have ever seen. It was white with a lavender and gold design of flowers and leaves. It came with a lid that had a gold face on it. It was so far beyond what I had expected that I was stunned. Dana told me that she had been all over the place in various kitchen stores looking for a tea cup and couldn't find one. I she said she finally went to Harrods (I think) and found the teacup that was in the box before me. It has monetary value in that it's a limited edition cup that could increase in value over the years. For me it is priceless more because Dana cared enough to search until she found one. She could have told me that she couldn't find one, but she didn't. 

   Looking at it know I wonder what I have done to deserve this. I don't think of myself as the kind of person that others go out of their way for. Yet, here was a cup that Dana had bought and hand carried onto the airplane for me. I told her that she would never have to give me another present ever again. I'll never drink eat out of that cup without thinking for her and the kindness she has shown me over our many years of friendship.

   It's not the first time I was shown great kindness by a friend.

   Many years ago I was trying to figure out what I could do with my wedding dress. It was the single most expensive piece of clothing I have ever bought and I didn't want it sitting around gathering dust in a box. I didn't want to sell it or give it away because it has great sentimental value. I had heard of women having quilts made from their wedding dresses and discovered I had a friend who quilted. I asked her if she would be willing to use my dress to make a quilt. She agreed. She asked me what pattern I wanted, I had seen a wedding ring quilt and thought that would be appropriate. I had no idea I'd chosen a more difficult pattern. I was expecting a simple quilt.

   What I got back was a work of art. A true heirloom piece. She'd used all of the dress except for the lace and buttons to make the remarkable quilt. It had three embroidered panels and some other extra touches that made it very personal. She had put a lot of time, thought and effort into making it. I was humbled by her efforts. 

   How had I been so blessed to have a friend that would do this for me? She could have chosen the pattern  herself or asked me to choose one less difficult. She didn't have to make those embroidered panels or the extra personal things, but she did.

   I am so grateful for both of these wonderful women who have been so generous to me. I hope I have been as good a friend to them as they are to me.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project