A Real Life Christmas




     Christmas has come to our house once again. This year looks a lot different than last year. Our beloved Scamp is not posing under the Christmas tree. Instead our two new kittens are racing around, playing with their toys pausing to eat, drink or rest a little on their cat trees. There is no snow on the ground. Its been raining for the last few days and we may have hit a record high temperature yesterday.
   We have a small tree on an old TV stand so that the kittens will not drink the tree water. The lights on the tree are a new set of LED lights that switch from coloured to all white. Our brightly coloured string of chaser lights doesn't work anymore. There is a large rug on the wood floor that wasn't there last year. 
   We do have familiar decorations on the tree including once that I got from my parents recently. It is a tree shaped ornament made of Styrofoam that I decorated in kindergarten or first grade. I made cookies as I usually do and C delivered plates of them to people we know. 
   There were no presents under the tree this year. C bought me a winter coat, which I may not need if it stays this warm. We got a new garage door. There were other expenses this year that made us decide to forgo the gift giving. Instead we focused on doing fun things together. 
   We didn't watch the NORAD Santa Tracker last night. Instead we watched a movie about the Trapp Family Singers that was more realistic than The Sound of Music. I like the Sound of Music, but it was interesting to see the movie. I'm going to look for the book by Agathe Von Trapp that the movie was based on.  I ate Christmas cookies and drank eggnog as I usually do on Christmas Eve.
   This morning I did my usual scripture study. I did my yoga with only the Christmas tree lights on. I turned on Yule Log, but the picture turned to static after about ten minutes. I think out old TV set isn't going to be around much longer.
   There are things we need to get done before we leave to spend part of the day with friends. Some laundry needs to be done, dishes need to be washed and I really should scrub the kitchen floor. It doesn't feel much like a holiday.....
   That's real life. Sometimes there is magic in the air. Sometimes it feels just like any other day. 
Merry Christmas
from Sophie, C, Willow and Barnaby
   
   
   
   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project