The Crowning of the King

 


   Last weekend I had to work. After taking a shower I went to You Tube hoping to watch a little of King Charles III's coronation. I was happy to discover that the procession down the aisle of Westminster Abbey was just about over and I could watch the whole ceremony. 

   As a resident of the country that fought free of British rule a few hundred years ago, I probably shouldn't have been as interested as I was. After all the monarchy is outdated and the idea of someone having authority due to birth instead of ability or the will of the people is just plain wrong. Right? 

   Despite that, I've been looking forward to watching the Coronation. It was the first coronation of a king since 1937.  The United Kingdom and the world were quite different back then. I wondered how those planning this event would make it more inclusive and modern as King Charles III wanted it to be and still include traditional things as well. I'd like to share with you a few things that stood out to me as I watched.

   The first thing I noticed was that it is very much a religious ceremony. I suppose that should have been obvious given that coronations are conducted by the Archbishop of Canterbury.  I didn't realize that it is a service of anointing and setting apart. Much of the elements of the service seemed to be focused on reminding the king of his responsibilities and that he is accountable to God. During the ceremony the king  (and queen) are anointed with oil that has been blessed. A screen was put up so that the king could be anointed out of view of those seated. While I do like the the ceremony is broadcast for all to see, it's good that there are some private moments.

   Another thing I noticed was that King Charles was taking this all very seriously. Again this is not something that should not have been surprising. His mother was a woman to dedicated herself to public duty at a young age and tried to do her best to serve her people all her life. To me he seemed to be thoughtful as he took the oaths and made the promises he had to make during the ceremony.

   Before the king is crowned there are pieces of clothing and other regalia that are presented to the king. There items were presented by a diverse group of people. In fact there was more diversity than I expected. Eight members of Christian gospel group sang during the service.

   I know that there are a lot of people who protested the coronation and many who want the monarchy abolished. I understand their point of view was much as one living in this country can. The thought of part of the money I pay in taxes going to the living expenses of a family that doesn't do much and already seem to have more than most would definitely not sit well with me. However I do see an advantage to having someone in government whose position is lifelong and not dependent on re-election. 

   Given this official start to his rule, it will be interesting to see what kind of king Charles will be.....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project