Waffle House

 


   C and I spent a long weekend in South Carolina. We had not been back in three years and it was good to see some familiar places again. 

   One of the things I like to do when I travel is to experience the culture of the place I'm visiting. To go to places where the local people go. One of the places I've always wanted to go to is a Waffle House.

   Waffle House is a restaurant chain with locations all over the south. They can be easily found because of the tall yellow signs in the parking lot. They serve breakfast all day along with lunch and dinner options. 

   One thing I found interesting when looking for information about Waffle House is the Waffle House index. The chain is known for having good emergency preparedness plans that can be put into action quickly are are known for staying open during extreme weather. If the Waffle House is closed, the emergency is pretty bad. It was an informal metric coined in 2011. (per Wikipedia)

   C and I decided to eat at a Waffle House during our trip. The first one we found was too busy. The second one we went to was not so busy. We went inside and found a booth right away. We sat down and were quickly given menus. I ordered a waffle and a side of bacon. C had eggs, bacon, toast and grits. We decided to share the grits.

   It was a very small restaurant. There were a few booths and a counter for people to sit at. All the cooking was done out in the open across from the counter. It was interesting to watch the cooks and waitstaff prepare the orders. 

   In less time than I expected our order arrived. I had to take a picture of my waffle as it said 'Wafflehouse' on it.  (I normally don't take pictures of my food.) I'm sure the server thought I was weird, but then my accent made it clear I was not a local. She brought me a small pitcher of syrup to put on the waffle. It wasn't bad. (I prefer real maple syrup, but this is the south.) The grits were excellent and the bacon was pretty good too.

   I thoroughly enjoyed that breakfast. It just felt homely and nice in there. Once we finished eating we paid our bill put on our jackets and headed out. I crossed one item off my list of things I wanted to do.

  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project