The Shot



   When the Covid vaccines started coming out there was also an order of who could get vaccinated first. I had seen it and agreed with it. It made sense. The most vulnerable and those who care for them should get vaccinated first. As we made ready at my pharmacy to give the vaccine, I watched to see which groups were becoming eligible.

   I wasn't sure when I could get vaccinated and where. I am a health care provider, which put me high on the list, but I live in Minnesota and work in Wisconsin. Which state's rule do I go by because there are slight differences.

  C had registered at a website in Minnesota that would alert him to when he could get vaccinated. He urged me to do the same. (In fact he said if I didn't do it, he would do it for me.) A week ago he was notified that he could make his vaccination appointment. I knew that I fell into the same group as him based on my occupation. I registered at the website.

   I felt fairly certain that it would be a few weeks before I would be able to get the vaccine so I settled in for a wait. Last Sunday, in the middle of online Sunday school, I got a text. It was from the state. I could make an appointment to get the vaccine. I made an appointment to get a dose of the new Johnson and Johnson vaccine for the next afternoon. 

   I was hoping that I would get the J&J vaccine. It's only one dose, which means I wouldn't have to worry about coming back for a second dose. I would not have to schedule a second dose around my work schedule.

   I was a little nervous about going to a mass vaccination clinic. I'm not good with crowds and the idea of thousands of people packed into a building didn't make me comfortable. The afternoon of my appointment, I swallowed my unease and went to the clinic. 

   I was prepared. I had a mask, my driver's license, my work ID, copies of my Minnesota and Wisconsin pharmacist licenses and a book to read in case I had a long wait. I walked up to the clinic and was met by a National Guardsperson who gave me a mask to wear. People attending the clinic needed to wear the mask provided. I put it on over mine. There were people assigned shepherd those receiving vaccine to various stations to check in.

   There was no chaos or groups milling around. In fact there were nowhere near the amount of people I imagined. Everything was very orderly and I felt very safe. After check in I was directed to wait in a line to get the vaccine. After a short wait, I was seated next to a nurse to asked me about allergies. Then he swabbed my arm with a alcohol pad and gave me my shot. After a 15 minute wait, I left the clinic. C and I went for a quick bike ride. I felt wonderful.

   As the rest of the afternoon wore on, things started to ache. First my arm and shoulder, then my joints. I also started to feel cold. I wasn't worried. This is part of the immune response. I'd feel better in the morning.

   By bedtime I was feeling chills. I wrapped up in a extra blanket, put on wool socks, a set of fleece pajamas and was stilled literally shaking with chills. C finally covered me up with a wool blanket. It was hard to sleep. I hadn't felt this sick since I had my yearly flu bouts in junior high. I though I was going to vibrate to pieces. I was comforted by the fact that I knew my immune system was working and this was only temporary. I warmed up and feel asleep.

  A few hours later I woke up. Now I was too warm. I unwound the blanket around me and shed the fleece pjs for flannel ones. I sort of managed to get back to sleep. At five I got up because I needed to feed Scamp breakfast. I felt dizzy. If I moved slowly, I could walk to the kitchen and feed Scamp.

   I made my way into the kitchen and got out Scamp's food and medicine. I clearly needed some fluids. After giving Scamp his medicine and food, I found a bottle of Gatorade and opened the bottle. I sat down on the kitchen floor and drank it. Once Scamp was done eating I moved to the couch. I laid down, covered myself with the wool blanket I had brought out of the bedroom. After a one hour nap, I felt better and ready for some food.

   I took another nap and then got ready for work. I didn't feel the greatest, but managed just fine.

   The next day I felt a lot better. My arm still hurt from the vaccine, but most of my other aches had gone. I headed off to work. We were busy.

   Yesterday was my day off, except for some housework and a walk, I took it easy. Fatigue is also a possible side effect of the shot. 

   In two weeks I'll be fully protected. Hopefully soon, the mask wearing mandates will end. I can wait, things seem to be getting better...…

   

    

   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project