The Birthday Column



     I thought I was going to have to cancel the Annual Birthday Lunch this year. None of my friends would be able to attend. Carol had tickets to see the musical Hamilton. Dana was going to be out of town.  Ellen would be working, preparing for the new school year. I have other friends, but I either hadn't seen them in years or would most likely be unable to some. I felt sad. I can't remember when I didn't take someone to lunch on my birthday. Maybe it would just have to be C and I this year.
   A few days later I had an idea. I had recently met a young woman from church named Carolina. She and her husband had recently moved here. I'd spent a couple hours visiting with her in her home and liked her immensely. I should ask her. We could have lunch and then walk a little on Summit Ave so she could some of the new area she moved to. I knew she was out of town so I took a chance and sent her a text. She replied that she would be back from her trip. I was happy. The lunch was back on. I looked forward to showing her some of the city of St Paul.
  Last Sunday at church I ran into Karin. Karin wanted to know if I was free the afternoon of my birthday. I hadn't thought to ask her to lunch with me. I assumed she would be working or busy. It turned out that she was free and happy to attend. The place I'd chosen for lunch was a favorite of hers. She also wanted to get better acquainted with Carolina.
  Things were starting to look up. I was still going to be able to take friends out to lunch on my birthday. Monday I sent a text to both of them to figure out a good time to meet. It came together pretty swiftly. A time was agreed upon.
  I always look forward to the birthday lunch, but this year I'm especially grateful.  I feel like I've been the recipient of tremendous generosity this year. I'll never be able to repay those who have been so generous to me, so I'll have to pay it forward.
   I think we are all going to have a wonderful time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project