Is Proof Required?



   A man running for a state office in Minnesota has been accused of domestic violence by a former girlfriend. The accuser claims to have a video of the incident which she has so far refused to release.
  I'm being intentionally vague about this because I don't want to write about this specific case. I want to write about the situation in general. It's another one of those times when I have some conflicting feelings.
  The thing that bothers me the most is the attitude toward the video that the accuser claims to have. There are many out there, including at least one women's group, that says she should not have to release the video. She made an accusation and her word should be enough. There are some that think that requiring her to release the video who then place the same requirement on other women who have made sexual violence accusations.
  I'm torn about this. Claims of sexual harassment, abuse and violence often have little in the way of evidence to back up a claim. Despite that fact, women who have been victimized in this fashion should be able to speak about their experiences and confront the person who committed the offense. Requiring someone to back up an accusation would cause harm to those who have been hurt and allow those who committed these kinds of offenses to be free of any consequences.
   One of the positive aspects of the Me Too movement is that women who might have kept quiet about their experiences a few years or even a few months ago can now talk without fear of retribution. They can connect with others that have similar experiences. There is a great relief in knowing you are not alone. An expectation of some sort of proof could drive victimized women back into the shadows which is unhealthy for all concerned.
  On the other hand, is it fair to assume that every accusation is true? As much as I don't want to think that someone would make an accusation this serious out of spite, it could happen. There are also circumstances where there is a grey area. For example, several times in my career I've been hit on by male customers while at work. Some women could see this as flattering or harmless. I personally consider it demeaning and insulting. Would it be fair of me to accuse any of these men of sexual harassment because I feel I'm not being treated as a professional? Does intention play a part? I'm sure none of these men set out to make me feel uncomfortable or unsafe, they just saw a good looking woman and decided to make a pass. They couldn't possibly understand or anticipate that I would find their attention unwelcome.
  I believe when a woman makes a claim of harassment she should be taken seriously. She shouldn't be brushed off, shamed or told that what happened to her was her fault. This I know for sure.
  I have no answer when it comes to proof or lack thereof.  There is a quote by D. Todd Christofferson, a leader in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints that makes a good point in this case, "One columnist observed that 'gentlemanly behavior' (for example, once) protected women from coarse behavior. Today, we expect sexual harassment laws to restrain coarse behavior." Maybe we need to return to gentlemanly behavior. What we're doing now offers no protection to women.....

Comments

  1. Her son confirmed the incident when he saw her emails and described them. She confirmed that what he saw on her computer was the truth. The organization NOW has pulled their support from Mr. Ellison. I think that will end his chances for AG in MN, and possibly his re-election to Congress also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting because my brother is a secondary education health and P.E. teacher. His students love him. My mom has continually told him though that it could ruin his career if a girl accuses him of any sexual harassment and he would have no defense. Recently at the school my mother used to teach at there was an incident where a young girl claimed a male teacher had abused her and caused multiple cuts on her arm. The police were called, the teacher temporarily suspended. The only thing that saved the teacher? They were able to find video footage of the girl actually cutting herself. Instead she was then suspended. But sad this even happens. I like the quote you provided and definitely agree.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project