Teaching Sunday School



   No one is idle in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Almost everyone has a calling. A calling is the volunteer job that a member does for the church. Examples of church callings are teacher, nursery workers, greeters, Relief Society President and councilors, ward clerks and leaders of the Young Men and Young Women's groups. Since the LDS have no paid clergy even the Bishop, the equivalent of a pastor in other faiths is a volunteer along with the councilors who assist him.
   Callings are held for a period of time after which the person is released from their calling, meaning they are relieved from the responsibilities of their current calling. Most of the time another calling is given.
  A few weeks ago I was given a new calling. I was asked to work in Primary. Primary is the program of the church for children three to 12 years of age. It is the group in the church that oversees Sunday school classes for this age group.  The children in the Primary program also learn to sing songs, pray in public and give short speeches (called talks).
  I must admit that I had an idea that I might be called to help in Primary several weeks before I was asked. A friend of mine had mentioned that there was a need for help. There are more young families moving into our ward which results in more children in Primary.
  I wasn't sure how I felt about serving in Primary. As I've mentioned before, I don't have children of my own and we don't get to see our grandchildren as much as we used to. It's not cool to hang out Opa and Oma at their age. I did babysit a bit as a teenager, but never really liked it or was good at it. While I don't mind being around children, I just didn't think was a "kid" person.
  On the other hand, I was looking forward to doing something different. I wanted a challenge. Primary would certainly be a challenge, especially if I was asked to teach. Beyond helping a little bit at the one week Bible school in the summer when I was a teenager and helping my mother in her Lutheran Sunday school class. I have no experience teaching children. (I have taught adult classes.)
  Despite my small reservations, I eagerly accepted the call. I just felt that it would be all right.
   I was told that I was going to help with the class that is taught by my friend, Ellen. I was really happy about that. Ellen has taught children for many years and she and I are very close friends. I felt confident that we would make a good team.
  I wasn't sure what to expect when I came to Primary. Ellen and I took our seats with our class. Primary starts with opening exercises. One of the things that really touched me is that children who are visiting are recognized and welcomed. A special "hello song" is sung to them. They also sing "Happy Birthday" to the children and teachers who are or have recently celebrated birthdays. They sing other songs too. A short lesson is taught and then the children are dismissed to go to their classes.
   When the class is over the children meet together for more songs, perhaps a talk and announcements. Then a child gives a closing prayer and the children are dismissed.
   I found that I really like being in Primary. The Primary presidency and other teachers and workers were kind to me and made me feel like they were pleased to have me there to help out. The reservations I had melted away. The lessons in Primary include at least one story. I like to tell stories and I believe I'm a good storyteller. It makes me feel more confident to know that I have a skill that is helpful in this calling.
   I'm looking forward to my time in Primary. It will be challenging, but I also think it will be very rewarding.
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project