Christmas Sweater




      Today Small Town Toastmasters held their final meeting for 2017. Dana, my knitting/crochet/beading teacher, was the Toastmaster. Since this meeting was so close to Christmas, she decided to have a Christmas theme and encouraged people to dress up in holiday clothes. A prize would be given for the best outfit.
     I wasn't sure what to wear. I have a decent amount of clothing, but not much that is holiday specific. (I do own two sweaters that have hearts on them.) Back when I was single and cared more about clothes, I would buy a new Christmas outfit every year. It was usually something to wear to church, usually a skirt or dress. As I've always been more conservative clothes wise, these outfits never included trees, Santas, reindeer or any other secular Christmas decoration. I once was daring enough to buy a skirt that had a little metallic thread on it. (It also has a hemline slightly above the knee, very unusual for me.)
   For some reason, I never got into the Christmas sweater or ugly Christmas sweater fad. Looking at my closet, I wish that I had.  I have Christmas socks, holiday earrings and a necklace that looks like a string of Christmas tree lights. All fine, well and good, but they don't stand out. The socks get covered by shoes. I have shoulder length hair that tends to hide earrings and the " bulbs" on my necklace are pretty small.
   A Christmas sweater would be much more obvious.  My boss recently got a Christmas sweater to wear to her family Christmas party. I think it was supposed to be one of these so ugly it's cute things, but it wasn't. It was just plain cute. It had a big penguin on the front because Carin (my boss) loves penguins. The penguin was made of some soft fuzzy something to make it stand out.
 Just for grins and giggles, I decided to look at Christmas sweaters online. Maybe I had something that could pass as a Christmas sweater. I was amazed by how many different patterns there are. One of them featured two TIE fighters and one X wing fighter from Star Wars. One of them had a Batman logo on it. One of them had the Tardis from Dr Who on it. Most of them were more than a little racy or were humorous in a suggestive way. Not really my style.
  There are different categories of sweaters, vintage, tacky and snowflake. One of them is fireplace. I had to look at that. Those were cool. Not only were there cartoon pictures of fireplaces, some of them had some kind of something to make the fireplace look like it was real. Kind of like having a broadcast of "Yule Log" on a sweater.
 One of the categories was skirts. I looked at that one. There were quite a few. many of them were festooned with bows, bells lights and garland. Many of them looked like the skirt you put around a Christmas tree to hide the stand.
   Obviously, I didn't have anything that would measure up to what I was seeing on the internet. I decided to wear a red cardigan sweater over a dark green turtleneck. I wore my Christmas light bulb sweater, my reindeer earrings and red Christmas socks. I wasn't going to win the contest, but at least it would be obvious that I am trying to be festive.
  Now that I've seen the selections of Christmas sweaters, I realise it's a trend I'm happy to miss.
 
 
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project